Question NAS Drive to Normal HHD

tybarreto34

Prominent
Oct 25, 2018
To start this off I know little to nothing about formatting hhds but my buddy recently got a good deal on a Seagate Ironwolf 3tb NAS drive. He wanted to just use it as a normal daily hhd. When he first hooked it up everything was fine. Upon a restart the drive was no longer recognized. When it finally did recognize it was formatted to RAW. We found a guide to reformat to NTFS and followed it. It worked and after a restart was still there. Now after a second restart it is gone again.
Is there any way to format this drive so he can use it as a normal daily driver? I read that this could be due to NAS drives using LINUX filing instead of windows but again I know nothing about this. Please help!

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
Assuming it is fully functional, an Ironwolf can be used as a regular drive. No problem.

Does this appear in Disk Management? If so, can you show us a screencap of that window?

Was this new or used?

tybarreto34

Prominent
Oct 25, 2018
Assuming it is fully functional, an Ironwolf can be used as a regular drive. No problem.

Does this appear in Disk Management? If so, can you show us a screencap of that window?

Was this new or used?
It was new. When we reformatted the drive it showed but after the restarts it does not.

ASK THE COMMUNITY