NAS/Fileserver/MediaServer

aviavy

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
So I am very new to the DIY Servers. I have dealt with prebuilt NAS solutions before, but I think my needs now are more than what they generally offer in price range I am looking at. So I need some help.

I have a lot of media content 3TB+ worth plus a whole lot of DVDs. I want to have a server that is attached to my network, can stream media to different parts of my house and basically be a backup at the same time (I was thinking a raid 5 config for that one).

I have an old pc that can be used:

Antec P182 case
Intel q9300 quad core LGA 775
4GB Kingston HyperX
Antec TruePower Quattro 850w

Yes I know that config is kind of highend for a server, but it was a former gaming machine, and it's what I have.
Anwyays, I will need a motherboard (preferably with onboard video) as the current one is kind of toast and I was thinking of 4 x 2TB WD Green in a RAID 5 config. While I know RAID isn't considered an actual backup solution it will have to do due to $$$. I was looking into running Free NAS as this seems to be pretty good no $$$ solution. And I also want to keep it headless.

Give me suggestions please! This project is kind of important as I recently almost lost my 2TBs of my 3TBs worth of media, so getting a backup has been raise to the "ludicrously detrimentally important" level.
Assume I'm an idiot and don't know what I'm doing, cause I am an idiot and I don't know what I'm doing! Thanks!

NetworkStorageTips

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
First of all, there is no such thing as too high end for a server. A server is more important than any workstation. Not only do you want performance, but above that you want reliability.

If you choose to go this route the most important decision you can make is to get a good RAID controller.

Other than that, if backup is ludicrously important (I don't understand the detrimental part), then get a 2TB or 3TB drive, connect it with a USB to SATA adapter if you want to go real cheap, and BACKUP!

Then take that hard drive to an offsite location (bank safe deposit box, trusted relatives house).

aviavy

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
Thanks for the reply!

What I meant by backup is more if one drive failed in the RAID config, I would be able to swap it with another and have it rebuild itself, which it should be able to do in a RAID 5/10 config.

Being that's it's mainly movies and music, I don't think I need to carry it offsite and into a bank vault, but losing all those files that have been collected would very much suck!

kingd3112

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010

I am too looking to do this, probably not with the same hardware configurations, but let me know what you plan to do for operating system, media, and file management software. Also curious about your process/experience once you get it completed.

I thought this website was pretty insightful: http://www.havetheknowhow.com/

aviavy

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008

I have looked at that site and it is pretty good.

I will keep you updated!

FireWire2

Distinguished
I'm other hand have a different opinion:

For Home server you DO NOT need that much power... I would rather look at what do you need and the most economical solution

Media Home Server can be constant download and streaming, meaning this run 24/7... so the power consumption is an issue in the long run

Intel q9300 quad core LGA 775 takes about 95W of power base on Intel spec

Definitely with FreeNAS you dont need that much of power...
ATOM CPU+MB and five green drives takes about 60W
Now this you can let it runs 24/7

See what I did for 40TB media server consumes less than 180W of power:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/265641-32-40tb-server-performance-issue

aviavy

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008

Thanks for the response. I actually agree with you. When researching I fell upon that thread and was quite intrigued with your machine.
I eventually want to make something closer to what you have, but like I said, $$$ is a big issue right now.

My biggest problem in well, pretty much anything electronics wise, is that I live on an island that doesn't have very much choice and importing generally doubles the prices at minimum!

I'm also not sure about the WD Green drives as I've read both good and bad, but worst being that it's no longer warrantied by WD if the drives are put into a RAID config as they are not "RAID certified".
I was considering the more power hungry WD Black or Hitachi Drives.

TRENDING THREADS