Question NAS for Plex

Feb 25, 2020
Hi everyone

First ever post so sorry if its on the wrong thread and too much info/not well explained.

I want to buy a Synology DS218j for a simple plex setup.

My thoughts were to buy a Nvida sheild and connect it to my NAS.

My actual question is: In this NAS can i use different size hdd

I have a 3tb hdd and a 2 tb hdd for the bays and a 1tb hdd 2.5 as an external plugged in. Will I be able to use all the space?

Im not bothered if i loose data tbh i just want to maximize the amount of space i can use. Raid confuses me so i was hoping for clarity on here. Do i choose a raid that doesent mirror data so i can use different size drives?

As well as movies etc i will add some family films on one of the drives which i will backup on my laptop regularly.

Thanks in advance

SamirD

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
You've already got an answer about the disks, but I would research using plex on that unit as many of the smaller/older synology units aren't great if they have to transcode or you have multiple viewers of the content.

Reactions: Qasim125
Feb 3, 2020
You've already got an answer about the disks, but I would research using plex on that unit as many of the smaller/older synology units aren't great if they have to transcode or you have multiple viewers of the content.
Hi thanks for your reply i was looking at buying an nvidea sheild and then that takes data from.nas so the sheild is doing the transcoding i think i saw a video on yt on this could be wrong

Feb 3, 2020
Yes, you could use different capacities and brands of disks if you are not planning on using them on a RAID setup.
It will be just a bunch of disks (JBOD) kind of setup.
Hi thanks for the reply so would i need to set something up or out of the box can i just add the hdd in

SamirD

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
Hi thanks for your reply i was looking at buying an nvidea sheild and then that takes data from.nas so the sheild is doing the transcoding i think i saw a video on yt on this could be wrong
Research this carefully to confirm it. If so, then you'll be good with almost any nas as it's just storage at that point. You could even just share your system hard drive.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS