[SOLVED] NAS for Plex

Feb 25, 2020
Hi everyone

First ever post so sorry if its on the wrong thread and too much info/not well explained.

I want to buy a Synology DS218j for a simple plex setup.

My thoughts were to buy a Nvida sheild and connect it to my NAS.

My actual question is: In this NAS can i use different size hdd

I have a 3tb hdd and a 2 tb hdd for the bays and a 1tb hdd 2.5 as an external plugged in. Will I be able to use all the space?

Im not bothered if i loose data tbh i just want to maximize the amount of space i can use. Raid confuses me so i was hoping for clarity on here. Do i choose a raid that doesent mirror data so i can use different size drives?

As well as movies etc i will add some family films on one of the drives which i will backup on my laptop regularly.

Thanks in advance

Solution
Yes, you could use different capacities and brands of disks if you are not planning on using them on a RAID setup.
It will be just a bunch of disks (JBOD) kind of setup.
Feb 3, 2020
You've already got an answer about the disks, but I would research using plex on that unit as many of the smaller/older synology units aren't great if they have to transcode or you have multiple viewers of the content.
Hi thanks for your reply i was looking at buying an nvidea sheild and then that takes data from.nas so the sheild is doing the transcoding i think i saw a video on yt on this could be wrong

Feb 3, 2020
Yes, you could use different capacities and brands of disks if you are not planning on using them on a RAID setup.
It will be just a bunch of disks (JBOD) kind of setup.
Hi thanks for the reply so would i need to set something up or out of the box can i just add the hdd in