NAS Hard Drive LifeSpan???

Tomhueb

Honorable
May 19, 2016
I have had a blue WD 1 TB drive in a 1 bay Synology NAS (couldn't find a red for a reasonable price at the time)

I have had the disk station running for around 1 year now or a bit more and am wondering if the life span of the drive with over 80-0GB of movies and Tv shows will die on me. Should i upgrade to a different red nas soon or ??? i dont want to loose all that data..

Solution
Drive failures are around 1-2% on consumer drives.
WD is one of the worst now, backblaze barely has any now. I'd avoid them. Seagate has really stepped it up in the last few years and their prices are great.
HGST is consistently the lowest failure over the last 8 yrs.

You should plan for failure. If you get a NAS you can use raid 1 to help keep your NAS online. In addition to that I'd recommend atleast having another usb drive or 2nd NAS for backups. Anything highly important should be stored in the cloud or at another location.

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-stats-for-q1-2018/

indsup

Reputable
Apr 26, 2015
There's essentially no difference from one to the other on the life of the drive models. The biggest difference is the warranty and the firmware in the drives. The red drives are supposed to be ballanced better. Modifications are made to the firmware for speed of write and read but not for life of the drive. MTBF should be around a million hours but there's no guarantee on any of that. If you have everything on one drive you may want to think of a secondary back up.

Drive failures are around 1-2% on consumer drives.
WD is one of the worst now, backblaze barely has any now. I'd avoid them. Seagate has really stepped it up in the last few years and their prices are great.
HGST is consistently the lowest failure over the last 8 yrs.

You should plan for failure. If you get a NAS you can use raid 1 to help keep your NAS online. In addition to that I'd recommend atleast having another usb drive or 2nd NAS for backups. Anything highly important should be stored in the cloud or at another location.

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-stats-for-q1-2018/

Solution