Question NAS Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

atifpolitici

Honorable
May 24, 2018
Hello All,

I recently decommissioned, my NAS after over 4 years worth of usage and I repurposed one of the drives, to be used in my spare computer. This drive has spent 4 year in a NAS, it has 21,008 power on hours. However, upon recently using third party apps to scan the drive, there was over 30 to 40 <500MS blocks, does that mean the drive is failing in the spare computer? Also, the computer isn't slow but just clicking on to open items, is at times a nightmare, also the transfer rate has massively dropped to compared to when it was new! Can you please provide me with some help? Is the HDD going out?

Kind Regards!

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
Hello All,

I recently decommissioned, my NAS after over 4 years worth of usage and I repurposed one of the drives, to be used in my spare computer. This drive has spent 4 year in a NAS, it has 21,008 power on hours. However, upon recently using third party apps to scan the drive, there was over 30 to 40 <500MS blocks, does that mean the drive is failing in the spare computer? Also, the computer isn't slow but just clicking on to open items, is at times a nightmare, also the transfer rate has massively dropped to compared to when it was new! Can you please provide me with some help? Is the HDD going out?

Kind Regards!
You should always be prepared for any drive (whether an HDD or SSD) to fail at any moment. If you don’t want to lose the data, create backups. I have three 1TB hard drives that I only use to backup my laptop. Sure, sounds redundant… but at least with three backups, I have a very low risk of losing any data.

atifpolitici

Honorable
May 24, 2018
Are NAS drives allowed to be used in desktops and will, the computer perform tasks slower as result? Or are my hard drives on the verge of death, is that why the otherwise fast computer is acting slow?

WD's NAS drives support TLER, but that only has an impact if a sector is totally unreadable.

WD has also been caught sneaking SMR drives into its NAS boxes, but your drive is CMR, so that's not an issue here.

Examine the SMART report. Do you see any reallocated, pending or uncorrectable sectors?

atifpolitici

Honorable
May 24, 2018
There's no reallocated sectors or anything, but the computer is tediously slow, and some operations take a while, I don't trust SMART now, because recently, over a 2 year period, I had 3 drives failed, and the way in which they failed, SMART didn't pickup or detect failure signs, in fact SMART stated the disks were healthy, so any tips please?

atifpolitici

Honorable
May 24, 2018
Hello quick update, Disk Checkup software, has now finally highlighted, SMART Stat number 3. Spin Up Time, Value 181, Worst, 179, Threshold, 21, Raw Value, 5,941. With somethin called Predicted TEC Date, 14th December. What does this mean? It just picked it up moments ago.

atifpolitici

Honorable
May 24, 2018
Hello Everyone,

I was wondering, whether you could please help me? I have found out that an Xbox Series X, doesn't require a game capture card to record footage, you can now capture footage by plugging an external hard drive or SSD, into the back. I was wondering which is the best choice for recording 4K footage for myself, not YouTube purpose? HDD or SSD? And what's a good size? So I used to have a NAS system with 3TB! But isn't that expensive for SSD? Thank you!

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering, whether you could please help me? I have found out that an Xbox Series X, doesn't require a game capture card to record footage, you can now capture footage by plugging an external hard drive or SSD, into the back. I was wondering which is the best choice for recording 4K footage for myself, not YouTube purpose? HDD or SSD? And what's a good size? So I used to have a NAS system with 3TB! But isn't that expensive for SSD? Thank you!
As this is a completely new question, not in any way related to this thread, please start a new thread in the proper category.

atifpolitici

Honorable
May 24, 2018
Hello everyone,

I'm coming back here to update everyone that the WD Red 3TB Drive, that I made this thread on earlier, died a few days ago. SMART didn't even notice any problems, I turned on my desktop and the load screen hanged, the drive made some instrumental beats, as it was trying to locate the track, and kept consistently powering on and off, this happened really randomly and so quickly, have you ever had drives, die like this? I am even more skeptical of SMART software now!

USAFRet

Titan
Hello everyone,

I'm coming back here to update everyone that the WD Red 3TB Drive, that I made this thread on earlier, died a few days ago. SMART didn't even notice any problems, I turned on my desktop and the load screen hanged, the drive made some instrumental beats, as it was trying to locate the track, and kept consistently powering on and off, this happened really randomly and so quickly, have you ever had drives, die like this? I am even more skeptical of SMART software now!
Yes, drives can die suddenly and without warning.
If you wait for SMART or other software to tell you it is dying, you're doing it wrong.

atifpolitici

Honorable
May 24, 2018
Is a surveillance hard drive, going to be good for recording lot's of gameplay. I've had standard and network attached storage drives, they can't handle it and always after 3 to 4 years die , so will surveillance drives be good for me?

atifpolitici

Honorable
May 24, 2018
Hello All,

I need your help please, earlier this week my 99% healthy 1TB SSD, purchased December 2020, did a self repair file system / check before booting into Windows 11, which I found strange, however for these past few weeks, or at least one month, I am opening applications, such as my browser and music player, and there is a 5 to 10 second delay now. My computer was built this year, there is absolutely no issue with that. Can you please help me diagnose this problem? Thanks!

Hello All,

I need your help please, earlier this week my 99% healthy 1TB SSD, purchased December 2020, did a self repair file system / check before booting into Windows 11, which I found strange, however for these past few weeks, or at least one month, I am opening applications, such as my browser and music player, and there is a 5 to 10 second delay now. My computer was built this year, there is absolutely no issue with that. Can you please help me diagnose this problem? Thanks!
Please start a new thread for this new problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.