Question NAS HDDs reading 160Mb/s when nothing should be happening ?

Jun 12, 2022
NAS HDDs reading 160Mb/s when nothing is running? How do I see what’s going on? It is an Asustor Drive Store 2 with 2x6Tb seagate 1 iron wolf 1 barracudas. I can constantly hear the drives I go onto the nas app and check drive usage not the storage but the send receive and either of the 2 are reading and writing. Plz let me know what information I must provide

thanks in advance

kanewolf

Titan
Nas hdds reading 160Mb/s when nothing is running? How do I see what’s going on? It is an asustor drive store 2 with 2x6Tb seagate 1 iron wolf 1 barracurs. I can const hear the drives I go onto the nas app and check drive usage not the storage but the send receive and either of the 2 are reading and writing. Plz let me know what information I must provide

thanks in advance
Since that is a commercial NAS, you should be able to SSH into it. The Linux PS command should show what is using resources.
But when you looked, it could be some background task, like indexing medial for the DLNA server. You will have to investigate more.

Jun 12, 2022
Hi thanks for the fast response it’s reading something I’m not sure what ssh is but it’s reading disk 2 at 160Mbs I fail to see what needs that. It’s making such a noise I turned off service can I post pics?

Jun 12, 2022
Allowing 2 pcs to communicate? Im just looking for what’s running that is reading i can see all the stats but im not sure what’s using it and how to end. Surely a drive reading at max constantly will kill it

kanewolf

Titan
Allowing 2 pcs to communicate? Im just looking for what’s running that is reading i can see all the stats but im not sure what’s using it and how to end. Surely a drive reading at max constantly will kill it
SSH is a method to get a terminal window into your NAS to allow you to see more than the web interface allows. I don't have an Asustor unit, so I don't have first hand experience.

Jun 12, 2022
Yeah im getting u but it doesn’t say, where could i ask? Iv turned off everything so it cant just keep doing that. Im not even sure im wording the q correctly
Thank you for the help

Jun 12, 2022
Or is there a way to force them to stop? Iv taken iron wolf health tool off thinking it would trigger random tests. I just don’t have things running and I hate not knowing y it’s making noise when I’m not using it and it’s reading at max speed, I know u don’t use that nas but if u could possibly point to where I can either look or ask?

Nas hdds reading 160Mb/s when nothing is running? How do I see what’s going on? It is an asustor drive store 2 with 2x6Tb seagate 1 iron wolf 1 barracurs.
Did you put Seagate Barracuda in NAS?
That is SMR drive. It is not suitable for NAS/RAID usage.
Any write on SMR drive requires corrections of neighboring tracks afterwards. This is done in background, but incurs loss of performance.

Jun 12, 2022
Did you put Seagate Barracuda in NAS?
That is SMR drive. It is not suitable for NAS/RAID usage.
Any write on SMR drive requires corrections of neighboring tracks afterwards. This is done in background, but incurs loss of performance.
Hi yes, I first added the iron wolf then since I had that plugged into my old nas I took it out formatted it. And I’m not writing on anything. I hear the drives going nuts I lot into the settings and see either drive reading from 120-160MBs also have see writes I’m a person that sees it using network or internet as well as hdd usage and I want to know what it’s doing or kill whatever it’s running. I have used a seagate personal cloud nas that 1 drive went bad I stuck in a barracuda and it lasted and still lasts 5 years later and non of my devices have ever been constantly reading things that I can actively hear it from other rooms. My old nas just made like a resetting buzz every half a hour but it’s a 2 second not very loud. This is tick tick tick, not bad drives tick but the head running furiously back and forth. And the drives are separate no raid or anything

Ralston18

Titan
I will add the suggestion to use Task Manager, Resource Monitor, or Process Explorer (Microsoft, free) to look for what all is running when the drive is in use.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Use all three tools but only one at a time.

See what you can find, if anything, when the drive is doing unexplained reads/writes. Could be some background process that gets launched at startup or perhaps later being triggered via Task Scheduler.

If you can identify the culprit (an application or utility for example ) that is known to you - then disable it.

Otherwise, simply post what you find or anything else that seemed odd or astray when the above tools were run. For example some application that you do not recognize.

It can be risky to just disable or otherwise stop a process that is not known. Unknown processes can be researched to discover what they are and what they may be doing or trying to do.

= = = =

Also: do you have all important data backed up to other locations? Just in case the NAS/hard drive fails.....