Question NAS HDD's Worth the Extra Money?

THRobinson

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Annoying... asked a question and now it's vanished. Not sure if a glitch or mod deleted?

Anyways... short quick version...

Drives like the WD Red NAS drives, are they worth it? I just bought a WD My Cloud EX2 Ultra NAS system, and looks like one of my 3TB drives is bad. I was looking to replace it or possibly upgrade with 4TB, and debated a NAS drive, but, it's just used for a media server so, streaming videos only. Is it worth the extra $40-60CAD per drive to get the NAS? Or would a 5400rpm Seagate BarraCuda for much less work just as well?

I see a lot of posts saying how the NAS drives are better for a NAS setup, but they never indicate the environment/usage. 1-2 computers streaming video, is different than a small office with 8-10 people read/write files all day.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Looks like your old(er) thread has not migrated over yet - I see it:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-3883649/ex2-ultra-jbod-setup.html

As for the drives, it really depends on the scope of your NAS. As a home media server, I wouldn't splurge on the "NAS" tier drives, personally. A decent sized office nightly backups, probably.... but not for a home media server that's not reading/writing constantly.

THRobinson

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Weird... I checked my posted threads and such and just nothing. Figured glitch, or some sorta policy violation... oh checked the link you had and nope, not the right one. Other thread I posted a few hours before this one. Looks like it simply vanished.

Ya I figured NAS drives are probably better, but for certain situations.

I've always been a Seagate BarraCuda user, though not loyal to it for any reason. Had luck with them and just kept buying them. When I buy, I'll probably grab whichever WD or Seagate is on sale at the time. And for a media server, 5400rpms is probably more than enough.

Any idea is a NAS with JBOD not RAID, will handle 2 different sized drives? I need a 3TB to replace what I have, but would rather a 4TB, then maybe next month replace the other with 4TB as well, then the externals.

THRobinson

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Ya, I clicked the link afterwards and wrong thread. The one I posted this morning vanished.

The JBOD I have now shows each 3TB as individual drives which is nice, especially for my backups. Just not sure if I mix a 4 and 3... is it one of those deals where the bigger newer drive will only show as big as the smaller drive or something. I know nothing about RAID and such, until a week ago, never heard of JBOD. :D

I find the WD site itself, not great so far for info. Had hoped for a quick accurate response on their forum for the mixed-sized question, but, nothing so far.

THRobinson

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Found the WD Blue 4TB drives (WD40EZRZ) on sale for really cheap... so, despite wanting to do it in stages, I ended up buying 4x4TB drives, ended up saving $120CAD overall.

Decided to pair it up with an Orico 1106SS hotswappable drive bay for the PC. Figured direct SATA connection and gibabit ethernet may speed stuff up a bit, else I was up around 38mbps transferring 3TB per drive.

Upside too is, the 3TB drive that works still, I'll use as a PC backup drive in the drive bay and sell the 2TB external I had for that.

Sell 2x3TB externals, 1x2TB external... and no more ac adapters and usb cables. At least make back a bit of the money spent on the upgrades. :D

Last edited: