Question NAS: insufficient disk space issues during backups ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MicroT

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2016
Hi,

Hopefully this is the correct place, apologies if not

Our company's network is managed by an external company (Government Funded) but due to them being incompetant at managing data we had decided to run our own backups of their NAS.

To do this I built our own NAS to store the backups, which works perfectly fine, and am using macrium reflect to back the data up.

The issue I am having though is when running the backup of the external company's NAS it seems to use up all of it's storage. For example I had 15GB freed up but during the backup it dropped to 0 and then Macrium reflect was getting access errors due to there being no disk space.

If I cancel the backup then I am left with about 500MB space on the NAS, I can't find any temporary files or any other files related to the backup that is using the space.

The network folder I am backuping up has been allocated 2TB of space but is basically full, the NAS I am storing the backup is RAID1 with x2 8TB drives.

Is this an issue I can resolve or is there something funky happening that the external company only has control over?

Thanks

Ralston18

Titan
Even though the described problem is technical in nature you need to go through the applicable channels and not seek solutions via a IT Forum.

If the providing / external company is being Government funded then the matter should be raised with the Government entity responsible for the contracting and funding.

Very likely that, if you do something on your own, you may be violating some contractual agreement(s) that have been agreed to.

May end badly if your actions make things all the worse.

The problems you cite need to be raised to your management and to the Government.

Document and present as necessary.

All involved parties need to be in one room to address and seek solutions.

Closing thread accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.