NAS - Mapping Question

kenacstreams

Commendable
Apr 25, 2016
I am setting up a Synology DS216+II NAS for my business.

My goal is to have different employees have access to different folders that they will work out of for spreadsheets and things that right now are being e-mailed between employees when someone needs a file and is highly inefficient.

I set up folders, user groups, users, and all the associated permissions I wanted for each of those things, but I've run into an issue. I want to map the drives so that they're essentially just a desktop folder on peoples PCs to make it familiar and easy to use, but all in all there's about 10 different folders for different things. When I attempt to map the drive as a whole Windows doesn't let me, but it works fine when I map a specific folder.

I'd like to have one device listed as the server that when they open it they can see the different folders based on their permissions, but right now all I can seem to get to work is mapping individual folders on each PC.

As a work-around, I tried making one main company folder and putting subfolders inside of it for the different types of files, and that works, but I don't appear to be able to set user/group permissions on those subfolders, only on the top folder that they're contained in.

The drive works great, I'm just looking for a way to use file explorer instead of a web browser to access it. Any tips or advice appreciated, thanks!

Solution
Yes, subfolders is what you need.
And in the Syn OS, each subfolder should be able to have its own permission settings.

Mary Can only talk to A and B, Bob can talk to B, C, D, Jim can only talk to X, Y, Z.
Mapped drive letters to the relevant folders for each user.

For instance, in my Qnap, there is this:
h9DRb3t.png

Synology almost certainly has a similar function.

USAFRet

Titan
Yes, subfolders is what you need.
And in the Syn OS, each subfolder should be able to have its own permission settings.

Mary Can only talk to A and B, Bob can talk to B, C, D, Jim can only talk to X, Y, Z.
Mapped drive letters to the relevant folders for each user.

For instance, in my Qnap, there is this:
h9DRb3t.png

Synology almost certainly has a similar function.

Solution