Question NAS PSU suggestion

Inet

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2013
Hi
I would like your suggestion for a good PSU up to 150w or 200w. It's for a NAS that will have a maximum consumption of up to 80w and +- 10/12w at idle. The problem is not the maximum power but the efficiency at idle, as almost all PSU are manufactured with games in mind. The NAS has not yet been built. I'm still studying the project. But the base will be a Mini-itx or Micro-atx motherboard.
Thanks

kanewolf

Titan
Hi
I would like your suggestion for a good PSU up to 150w or 200w. It's for a NAS that will have a maximum consumption of up to 80w and +- 10/12w at idle. The problem is not the maximum power but the efficiency at idle, as almost all PSU are manufactured with games in mind. The NAS has not yet been built. I'm still studying the project. But the base will be a Mini-itx or Micro-atx motherboard.
Thanks
IMO, if you haven't built it, buy a commercial NAS. They just work. Right out of the box. No muss, no fuss. SMB, Apple, NFS? YEP, right out of the box. Media player support? YEP. VPN endpoint? YEP. Docker containers? Many NAS have them. Building a NAS is easy, making it useful with software is hard.

Inet

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2013
IMO, if you haven't built it, buy a commercial NAS. They just work. Right out of the box. No muss, no fuss. SMB, Apple, NFS? YEP, right out of the box. Media player support? YEP. VPN endpoint? YEP. Docker containers? Many NAS have them. Building a NAS is easy, making it useful with software is hard.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't want to be dependent on a software company in case of a breakdown, and I want to build something more powerful. As for the PSU, in principle I'll opt for the Be Quiet Pure Power 11 300w. Thanks

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't want to be dependent on a software company in case of a breakdown, and I want to build something more powerful. As for the PSU, in principle I'll opt for the Be Quiet Pure Power 11 300w. Thanks
"dependent on a software company " ?

Most current NAS boxes (Synology and QNAP, for instance) are Linux based.
My QNAP runs QTS, a customized variant of Ubuntu.

What OS are you planning on using?
What other parts will be in this system?
'more powerful' - What will this NAS be used for?

Inet

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2013
"dependent on a software company " ?

Most current NAS boxes (Synology and QNAP, for instance) are Linux based.
My QNAP runs QTS, a customized variant of Ubuntu.

What OS are you planning on using?
What other parts will be in this system?
'more powerful' - What will this NAS be used for?

The NAS will consist of:
ASROCK h410M-HDV R2.0 or ASROCK H510M-HVS R2.0
I3 10100
2 X 8GB DDR4
2 x 6TB HD ( later + 2 x 6TB )
1 NVME 1TB
BE QUIET Pure Power 11 300w
OS FreeNAS
It will be used for streaming, archiving pics, documents, videos, music.
I want to have the freedom of being able to upgrade at any time and not be trapped by the limitations of Synology and QNAP systems that practically don't allow for upgrades.

USAFRet

Titan
"don't allow for upgrades"

What future upgrades are you considering?

That looks like a nice system.
The 1TB NVMe is probably a bit of overkill, but whatever.

Your use case is pretty much the same as my 4 bay QNAP.
I just replaced a potentially failing 8TB drive with a new 14TB.

Some years ago, when moving from a regular PC based home server to a real NAS, I considered all sorts of options.
Another PC, Windows server.
Same system, FreeNAS.
Synology or QNAP.

The QNAP won based on the software stack.
6 years later, still going strong.