NAS questions and hardware advice?

pcHobby

Reputable
Jun 29, 2017
I am new to NAS and would like some advice for purchasing a system mainly for file sharing or backup.

I am looking for a NAS that is capable of the following;
-Is there a NAS raid that can do 8tb as main storage and have 4tb drive as failsafe? I have seen posts stating there is a raid that can do 3 X 2tb as primary storage and then 1 X 2tb as failsafe if one drive fails. I want to know if it can do it with various drive sizes - or possible if I partition the 8tb to 2 X 4tb and use the 4tb as failsafe?
-Ability to share storage between old and new computers running Windows 7, 8, 9, 10, OSX 10.3 and above and Mac Classic OS9?
-Ability to add hard drives without having to manually transfer files to another drive and back again to the NAS, as I am only starting with 1 or 2 drives and hope to add more when needed.

If there is no NAS that can do all that I have listed, is there one that can do most or apply a work around it?

Is it possible for a NAS with two gigabit ports, for one port connected to the network router and the other port to be connected directly to a computer to access shared files. I would like to use it to increase transfer speed to the NAS of one computer while still have the ability to access the network. Also I would like to use it when I want to connect a laptop direct to the NAS than going through the network or connect a computer directly to the NAS through the ethernet without sharing?

If I am mainly using it for the above, what is the cheapest NAS I could purchase?

I am considering the Synology 918+ and Qnap 453B due to front USB C port for direct access but it seems like alot of money for the purpose I listed?

The Qnap 453B has a front usb c port for accessing the NAS as a drive.
-Does this mean a computer can connect to the NAS as an external drive and also be connected to the network or will this cause conflict?
-If you connect directly to the USB C port, does that mean the NAS goes offline on the network?
I am thinking of direct usb c connecting the 453B to a main PC to access the files for video editing as it is faster and network the 453b for other computers on the network to access. Is this possible, as I watched a video suggesting not to use the usb c front to access files but rather use the network to access it which I didn't understand why not??

Do other NAS brands have something similar and at what minimum cost?

I only want to turn on the NAS when I require files. Is this possible when it is connected to the network and the NAS drive is already displayed on the Mac or PC computers and you are turning it on and off when needed?

Will this cause any form of issues or disruption to the network or computers connected to the network such as lagging while people are using their computers, corruption to anything, computer freezing, etc?

Thank you.

Solution
raid 0,1,5 need the drives to be the same size/speed.

You can create a raid and back it up on another disk.

One option is a JBOD or raid 0 with 2x4TB and another 8TB disk to back that up on.
I don't really recommend raid 0 in a NAS. It doesn't offer any performance boost and it gives you extra points of failure.
raid 0,1,5 need the drives to be the same size/speed.

You can create a raid and back it up on another disk.

One option is a JBOD or raid 0 with 2x4TB and another 8TB disk to back that up on.
I don't really recommend raid 0 in a NAS. It doesn't offer any performance boost and it gives you extra points of failure.

Solution

Latest posts