[SOLVED] NAS Software for Windows 10

ZachMan1030

Commendable
May 14, 2017
Are there any options for a NAS software that works with Windows 10? I know the NAS software NextCloud is popular, but it only works with Ubuntu Linux.

Solution
How would that work? Excuse my ignorance, I'm new to this as you can probably tell.
In a current Windows OS, you can designate a folder to be shared. Permissions go to Everyone.
Other systems inside your LAN (in your house) can access easily.

Access from outside is a whole different animal. Port forwarding through the router, permissions, access logs...
Get it a little bit wrong, and your system WILL get compromised.
Pretty much every IP address exposed to the outside gets scanned all the time. Not targeting you, but just knocking on the door to see if anything answers.
Your system, now exposed, may respond to that knock. "Hi, here is a Windows system. Please send me the username and password for access"
Now...the system...

USAFRet

Titan
Ideally, the software would allow me to upload and view files from anywhere and even on mobile if possible.
That can be done with regular Windows and shared folders.
The "from anywhere" is a networking issue, not an OS issue. But that is also a hazardous issue. Opening your home network to outside access needs a lot of planning and configuration.
Otherwise...if you can access it, maybe someone else can as well.

USAFRet

Titan
How would that work? Excuse my ignorance, I'm new to this as you can probably tell.
In a current Windows OS, you can designate a folder to be shared. Permissions go to Everyone.
Other systems inside your LAN (in your house) can access easily.

Access from outside is a whole different animal. Port forwarding through the router, permissions, access logs...
Get it a little bit wrong, and your system WILL get compromised.
Pretty much every IP address exposed to the outside gets scanned all the time. Not targeting you, but just knocking on the door to see if anything answers.
Your system, now exposed, may respond to that knock. "Hi, here is a Windows system. Please send me the username and password for access"
Now...the system that is scanning all these IP addresses will then go into access mode, trying to get in. If it sees a vulnerability...poof, it is inside that system with all of your data.

When I had my NAS box open for outside access, it would get access attempts from all over the planet. Russia, Portigal, Switzerland, Ohio...just because.
All attempts fails due to strong username/password. But it was there.

Solution