Question Nas storage needed to back up files at two locations wd pr4100 vs sysnology

ssmokeyy

Distinguished
May 2, 2010
I run a small business and have been using onedrive to backup company file but I have ran out of one drive space. I'm looking to run a cloud setup from my house and have been looking at qnap, sysnology, wd pr4100 for the job. What I need to know is if the pr4100 can handle this task?
I have been reading for over 5 hours and haven't found some one saying yes or no yet. Has any one used the wd mycloud software? Does it let u loggin remotely to the nas? Can I set a folder on my remote location that will sync the saved file? Also wondering the same about the qnap?

ssmokeyy

Distinguished
May 2, 2010
I'm not sure witch ones I would buy from sysnology or qnap. Seems like the wd pr4100 has the best hardware. sysnology has the best software. Being that I can log in to the mycloud do u know if I can set it to have a save folder on a remote pc? If I have to save the file than move it to the remote login web page could take a lot of time that im not spending now.

I was thinking to do a ubuntu pc but haven't found good software for what im wanting to do. only one i did find was tonido but not many reviews out about it.

popatim

Titan
WD probably has the higher failure rate of the three too... At least the older models did. I'm not familiar with this one.
Tech support is from India, you might get lucky and get a good tech ... or not.

ssmokeyy

Distinguished
May 2, 2010
Im thinking more about doing home server / cloud backup build. Not sure if I should do wnidows server 2019 vs ubuntu. I have looked into tonido and I like what the program does. I hope it just doesn't suck at running without error's.

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
Im thinking more about doing home server / cloud backup build. Not sure if I should do wnidows server 2019 vs ubuntu. I have looked into tonido and I like what the program does. I hope it just doesn't suck at running without error's.
The question is - How much time do you want to spend building and maintaining this? vs a prepackaged setup (Qnap/Synology).

ssmokeyy

Distinguished
May 2, 2010
Im ok with maintaining this box if it means i get more for my money in the long term. I can't seen to find a synology box i would want under $800 bucks and i can build a sweet ryzen system for that.

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
4 bay Qnap or Synology are generally under $500, plus drives.

I went through the same cost/benefit analysis 3 years ago, when changing from a "regular PC" to a real NAS box.
Once you include the cost of a Windows Server license, the QNAP won easily.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS