[SOLVED] Nas storage needed to back up files at two locations wd pr4100 vs sysnology

ssmokeyy

Distinguished
May 2, 2010
I run a small business and have been using onedrive to backup company file but I have ran out of one drive space. I'm looking to run a cloud setup from my house and have been looking at qnap, sysnology, wd pr4100 for the job. What I need to know is if the pr4100 can handle this task?
I have been reading for over 5 hours and haven't found some one saying yes or no yet. Has any one used the wd mycloud software? Does it let u loggin remotely to the nas? Can I set a folder on my remote location that will sync the saved file? Also wondering the same about the qnap?

Solution
4 bay Qnap or Synology are generally under $500, plus drives.

I went through the same cost/benefit analysis 3 years ago, when changing from a "regular PC" to a real NAS box.
Once you include the cost of a Windows Server license, the QNAP won easily.

ssmokeyy

Distinguished
May 2, 2010
I'm not sure witch ones I would buy from sysnology or qnap. Seems like the wd pr4100 has the best hardware. sysnology has the best software. Being that I can log in to the mycloud do u know if I can set it to have a save folder on a remote pc? If I have to save the file than move it to the remote login web page could take a lot of time that im not spending now.

I was thinking to do a ubuntu pc but haven't found good software for what im wanting to do. only one i did find was tonido but not many reviews out about it.

ssmokeyy

Distinguished
May 2, 2010
Im thinking more about doing home server / cloud backup build. Not sure if I should do wnidows server 2019 vs ubuntu. I have looked into tonido and I like what the program does. I hope it just doesn't suck at running without error's.

USAFRet

Titan
Im thinking more about doing home server / cloud backup build. Not sure if I should do wnidows server 2019 vs ubuntu. I have looked into tonido and I like what the program does. I hope it just doesn't suck at running without error's.
The question is - How much time do you want to spend building and maintaining this? vs a prepackaged setup (Qnap/Synology).

ssmokeyy

Distinguished
May 2, 2010
Im ok with maintaining this box if it means i get more for my money in the long term. I can't seen to find a synology box i would want under $800 bucks and i can build a sweet ryzen system for that.

USAFRet

Titan
4 bay Qnap or Synology are generally under $500, plus drives.

I went through the same cost/benefit analysis 3 years ago, when changing from a "regular PC" to a real NAS box.
Once you include the cost of a Windows Server license, the QNAP won easily.

Solution