NAS storage /w multiple NIC

Proxify

Reputable
Dec 11, 2014
I am looking at a NAS server that has 4 gigabit ethernet slots. Does this mean I can plug all 4 into the same switch and basically get 4Gb/s access to the NAS? If not, what is the point of having multiple ethernet slots?

Solution
You still need to buy switches that support port bonding. You really need to check the specs on the NAS also just because it has 4 gig ports does not mean it can really run that fast. Many times it depends on they type of raid you configure in the NAS.
It depends on the NAS some are used to connect to multiple networks in different subnets and/or you can bond them for more speed.

Still it makes no difference if the NAS can bond the ports if you do not have the special switches that can also bond ports. It also is only useful in certain configurations..mostly many different clients accessing the NAS.

Proxify

Reputable
Dec 11, 2014

Many different clients would be accessing the NAS, so it would be desirable for the 4 NICs to be collaborating together.

You still need to buy switches that support port bonding. You really need to check the specs on the NAS also just because it has 4 gig ports does not mean it can really run that fast. Many times it depends on they type of raid you configure in the NAS.

Solution

Proxify

Reputable
Dec 11, 2014

Awesome, Thanks man! I appreciate the information.