[SOLVED] NAS system

Dec 14, 2021
Hey, I'm new to this site/forum and want to begin to settle in a little. I'm not sure if I'm in the right place for my question/introduction but I'm sure someone will let me know. I work in IT and have decided to learn more about servers so I built a NAS server with freenas as the os ,(will be installing truenas) and am running plex app for media as a way to get deeper into server systems. I work with win server 2016 and am comfortable with it. My main problem so far is recurring alerts of file corruption and frequent problems with the plex app crashing during media use.

To mitigate the problem I have tried multiple fixes that did nothing to help; replace the corrupt files , check cabling from control card to HD and boot drives, reseating ram (I am using ECC ram). reboot machine and resorting to voodoo. The best resolution I have found is to run a pool scrub for about 2 minutes then cancel the scrub. This clears the corrupt file alert, read, write and checksum errors and everything is fine for a while. Since I am new to this, checking the logs tells me little because I don't know what to look for and my lynex skills need work. So I am hoping those of you who are well seasoned my have and idea how to manage this without tearing the whole thing apart and starting over. Thanks for this forum and everyone here!

kanewolf

Titan
Hey, I'm new to this site/forum and want to begin to settle in a little. I'm not sure if I'm in the right place for my question/introduction but I'm sure someone will let me know. I work in IT and have decided to learn more about servers so I built a NAS server with freenas as the os ,(will be installing truenas) and am running plex app for media as a way to get deeper into server systems. I work with win server 2016 and am comfortable with it. My main problem so far is recurring alerts of file corruption and frequent problems with the plex app crashing during media use.

To mitigate the problem I have tried multiple fixes that did nothing to help; replace the corrupt files , check cabling from control card to HD and boot drives, reseating ram (I am using ECC ram). reboot machine and resorting to voodoo. The best resolution I have found is to run a pool scrub for about 2 minutes then cancel the scrub. This clears the corrupt file alert, read, write and checksum errors and everything is fine for a while. Since I am new to this, checking the logs tells me little because I don't know what to look for and my lynex skills need work. So I am hoping those of you who are well seasoned my have and idea how to manage this without tearing the whole thing apart and starting over. Thanks for this forum and everyone here!
Have you run MEMTEST against this system? You could have bad DIMM(s).