Question NAS to Raspberry Pi Server System Migration

CodeHardForTheWare

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
Hi All,
I am trying to try something different for my home server/media collection. My current setup has my seagate 4-bay NAS connected to my home network. I normally just send my media to it via LAN. I have a 2017 Nvidia Shield Pro that is also connected to the network and plays media over the network from the NAS.
I'm not happy with the setup (Specifically the NAS) for the following reasons.
  1. It makes a constant low humming noise that is audible during quiet scenes on TV Shows and Movies, VERY ANNOYING.
  2. For some reason, it is not allowing me to add more than 16Tb, Seagate (whom are no longer in the NAS business) state that the latest firmware removed that cap but unfortunately it just does not work for me.
  3. The system is EXTREMELY buggy. About 40% of the time, my PC will stop seeing the NAS and I can't copy anything to it. This is very annoying as it necessitates using a thumb drive and plugging directly into my Shield.
    With these 3 reasons I can say that I am done with NAS systems for now as the newer ones are CRAZY expensive where I live.
I recently got a Raspberry Pi4 4gb Model and I saw that some people have turned it into a nifty little media server for Plex/Kodi etc. I'm keen to move to this system, however I am not 100% sure how to make it work with my Shield.
I essentially just want the Pi to be a Torrentbox, getting media (4k HDR) and dumping it on to a bunch of Hard drive that I will put into a multibay enclosure. From there I would like for my shield to be able to play those files whenever I wish.
Is has anyone tried something like this before?
Thanks in advance for any help and guidance and I apologize for the long message I just thought that context would help clarify anything.

OldSurferDude

Reputable
May 18, 2019
I've experienced similar issues. For the noise, I put the box on a foam pad made from packing foam. I have to comment, streaming over WiFi could be 39% of your problems. The other 1% could come from Windows trying to install yet another poorly tested update.

My NAS was running very slow. I didn't realize how old it was until I saw it had a 10Mbs ethernet port! I took the drives out, got a USB3 drive interface and plugged them into my router. All good now, though I don't have mirroring.

TRENDING THREADS