[SOLVED] NAS vs. HD connected to Router

Robox

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2014
I need to share a folder with documents over network with 3 PC (Windows), in a small office.
It is a small folder containing . doc files that the three Pcs in the network from time to time will create, edit etc...

The disk will still be connected 24h a day (even if only used about 8 hours).

In your opinion, keeping a common external HD constantly connected to the router (that supports this function, already tried and working) can be considered an alternative to using an entry-level NAS (with one disk)?

(in both cases a backup system will then be implemented on an additional external drive)

Solution
I need to share a folder with documents over network with 3 PC (Windows), in a small office.
It is a small folder containing . doc files that the three Pcs in the network from time to time will create, edit etc...

In your opinion, keeping a common external HD constantly connected to the router (that supports this function, already tried and working) can be considered an alternative to using an entry-level NAS (with one disk)?

(in both cases a backup system will then be implemented on an additional external drive)
The word "office" in your original statement makes a USB attached to a router a non-starter IMO. An office environment needs backups...
If it fills your needs and is fast enough. Why fix what isn't broken?

You already tried it on your router and it works. All you can do is leave it running and see if it's reliable. If it isn't. Then get a NAS.

Although a NAS just sounds dated for basic office file sharing. Rather than using something like Dropbox or One Drive. So, the documents are available everywhere.

If it works for you, then go for an external hard drive on a router. Just be sure to scrutinize the configuration and make sure the router's firmware is up to date to make sure the right people have access. I recall some manufacturers were dinged with security issues that allowed anyone from the internet to access and modify drives connected to the router. Alternatively you can set up a directory on the computers for network sharing.

Although if you're doing something like collaboration work, I strongly recommend looking into options that seamlessly keeps track of changes and allows you to undo those changes. Windows has a feature called File History, but there may be other solutions that fit your needs better.

kanewolf

Titan

The word "office" in your original statement makes a USB attached to a router a non-starter IMO. An office environment needs backups, needs network and folder security. Those are not strong points for a disk on a router. A purpose built commercial NAS has the things NECESSARY for an office environment.
Do not buy a single disk NAS chassis. The delta cost for a single drive and a 2 drive chassis is trivial.
Physical security of this storage is just as important as access security. You don't want a disgruntled employee walking out with the shared storage for the entire office.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
A 2 bay NAS provides so much more functionality than a single external drive connected to the router.

Each user can have their own dedicated space, as well as a space for shared docs.
Much better security.
Built in backup functionality.
Better data handling.
etc, etc...

Robox

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2014
I think I will abandon the idea of the HD connected to the router, I think it is best to have a NAS at this point.

The thing of creating a shared folder, placed on one of the three Pcs that work (since one of them is on 24h a day), seems pretty practical. This PC contains an SSD with the operating system and an unused HD, maybe I would load the folder to share on the SSD and arrange an incremental daily backup on the HD.
What do you think?

USAFRet

Titan
I think I will abandon the idea of the HD connected to the router, I think it is best to have a NAS at this point.

The thing of creating a shared folder, placed on one of the three Pcs that work (since one of them is on 24h a day), seems pretty practical. This PC contains an SSD with the operating system and an unused HD, maybe I would load the folder to share on the SSD and arrange an incremental daily backup on the HD.
What do you think?
User data, the shared folder, should be on a drive different than the OS.