Question NAS vs Video Hosting, which is better for watching anytime anywhere with fast streaming?

koshinohouse

Reputable
May 23, 2019
Hi guys, I am currently making my digital home theater. I have 1/3 of it done, turning it into digital files, and size for now is about 50TB.

What I really want to do is just upload it to some video hosting sites privately, only to myself, not sharing with any friends, but myself.
But it seems like almost all the video hosting websites do Copyrights scan even videos that is kept for private use.
I was thinking if anyone knows anything about making my own video hosting site is worthy enough or not, or is there any website that does not scan your stuffs until you share it out.

Or,

The easier solution is, make my own NAS server.
I once tried it and I was not happy with it. The app player were unable to play my file, or, it was extremely slow for it to stream and to buffer.
If I want to go to a certain scene and drag the bar forward, it would just hang there, for 10 mins. I used Buffalo by the way, maybe I set up wrongly.

But also, the problem is 50TB and growing, I feel a bit scared buying it and if I am not satisfied with the streaming speed... It would be all wasted...

Please help me, I am kinda noob in this field...
Thanks!

Your player was slow because you were playing high definition content from your local storage, while hosting and online players compress files for faster viewing thus reducing the quality.

The way to watch high definition on a big screen is only via personal server. Search for "how to build your own streaming video server" guides and don't be afraid. I am streaming everything from my PC acting as a media server, and it's reasonably fast, so you were doing something wrong that time.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RlxCc0M6Ko

koshinohouse

Reputable
May 23, 2019
Your player was slow because you were playing high definition content from your local storage, while hosting and online players compress files for faster viewing thus reducing the quality.

The way to watch high definition on a big screen is only via personal server. Search for "how to build your own streaming video server" guides and don't be afraid. I am streaming everything from my PC acting as a media server, and it's reasonably fast, so you were doing something wrong that time.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RlxCc0M6Ko

Thanks for the encouragement!
I guess from what you are saying NAS is much better idea than doing the video hosting thing I assume?

What do you suggest the brand of NAS by the way. Streaming fast is my priority.
I am looking at Synology now.

Hi, I cant remember. But I live in a fairly new high-rise apartment in Tokyo.
The internet is pretty fast. I could screenshot the speed later for you when I get home!
This was more a rhetorical question for you, you gotta serve it fast enough and u hope the café you are sitting at is letting you have enough bandwidth to grab the video.

Commercial servers have the ability to dynamically adjust available bandwidth, home-spun systems may not.

koshinohouse

Reputable
May 23, 2019
Thank you everyone for helping me out.

I talked to the Synology guy, he recommended the following:
S1819+, DS3018xs RS1219+, RS1219+ and RS18017xs+
I told him I want fast streaming for my movies, 100TB, and possible future expansion.
It seems like what he gave me was more for commercial use, no? I am not sure.

And I am looking on at the some models now, and found out that there are only certain models that mention about 4K Multimedia Server, where as others are more like
Ultimate file management and sharing, well its advertisement slogans, but is that true that some are more for media server and some are not?

koshinohouse

Reputable
May 23, 2019
I have a 4 bay QNAP TS-453a
"...allow users enjoy 4K (H.264) video playback and 1080P/4K video real-time transcoding right from the NAS to an HD/4K display "

I don't have a 4k screen to actually test it, though.

And this one is a couple of years old. They have newer models.

Hey, thanks for sharing!
How fast was the streaming once you opened a movie file, may I ask?
Is it like Youtube, click and play instantly? Or was there some waiting time?
How did it go for you so far!

USAFRet

Titan
I use it for playing movies from local storage. Yes, it plays pretty much instantly.

I've used it to push movies (1080p) out to 3 different devices at the same time (2x windows PCs and an android tablet), while also playing a music playlist on another system, and accepting multi GB backups from 2 other systems.
At the same time.

No hiccups in either the video or music playback.

koshinohouse

Reputable
May 23, 2019
Umm I am looking at the Synology, and came across qnap.
And some user said synology has better interface and apps, but not so stable as for the machine itself; qnap is better in its machine but the interface isnt as good as synology.
Any real time users here?

USAFRet

Titan
Umm I am looking at the Synology, and came across qnap.
And some user said synology has better interface and apps, but not so stable as for the machine itself; qnap is better in its machine but the interface isnt as good as synology.
Any real time users here?
You can walk through the QNAP OS here: