NAS + webhosting on old server

Jul 13, 2018
Hello all, I have purchased a Supermicro SYS-6026T-URF server on the cheap and I am going to set it up as a NAS.
I am wondering if in the future I could also host a website on it and if so how should I go about it?
I am thinking on using FreeNAS. I am new to this so any suggestion, even if just pointing to proper literature will be appreciated.

Solution
I'm a big fan a virtual servers. Check out proxmox.
debian based os have lots of docs because ubuntu is so big.
KVM is very good and it's on linux not BSD like freenas. hyperv, esxi, xen cost a lot of money to give some of the features that kvm has for free.
They have turnkey container templates in repos for you.
You can setup the ZPOOL and then use turnkey file server for NAS and turnkey LAMP for webhosting.

learning some basic command line stuff will go a long way and fstab config. cd, mkdir, nano, ls, sudo/su, chmod, chown, mount, ZFS, ZPOOL, man, rm.
I'm a big fan a virtual servers. Check out proxmox.
debian based os have lots of docs because ubuntu is so big.
KVM is very good and it's on linux not BSD like freenas. hyperv, esxi, xen cost a lot of money to give some of the features that kvm has for free.
They have turnkey container templates in repos for you.
You can setup the ZPOOL and then use turnkey file server for NAS and turnkey LAMP for webhosting.

learning some basic command line stuff will go a long way and fstab config. cd, mkdir, nano, ls, sudo/su, chmod, chown, mount, ZFS, ZPOOL, man, rm.

Solution