NAT with ATT router

tjones9163

Reputable
Apr 12, 2017
Hello, I have been playing on my Xbox one and have noticed lag and checked my NAT type and it was set to strict, so I access my ATT router page and went to Firewall/port forwarding and then under allocation, I can either use (default server mode) or (passthrough mode). right now I am using it in (default server mode) with the IP and MAC address set to that of my XBOX. I then reset my router and my Xbox and it worked...my NAT type is now open. I didn't have to mess with or add any settings In the NAT section but I still managed to get open NAT.
My first question is in the Ip passthrough section what is the difference between passthrough mode and default server mode?
My second question is what is the difference between going with NAT or going with IP passthrough because apparently both work and is what I changed ok?

stdragon

Admirable
If you want to use your own router for NAT and avoid double-NATing, then you will need place it in DMZPlus mode inside the ATT router. This is so you can pass the public IP to the WAN port of your own personal router (non-ATT branded)

tjones9163

Reputable
Apr 12, 2017

My att router doesn't support DMZ.
What is double NATing and what router would you recommend?

tjones9163

Reputable
Apr 12, 2017

perfect explanation. The only thing is under NAT settings tab there is a drop-down menu with known NAT services like call of duty ect. ect but there isnt one for Xbox one. But there is another option underneath it that says add custom services. Is that what I would have to do?

stdragon

Admirable
Honestly, I'm not sure you need to port-forward anything. If it's not uPnP based, the games and services are all cloud-based. In other words, because you're not hosting traffic direct to your ATT connection, the X-Box will initiate ports of communication on its own to the cloud based gaming services hosted elsewhere.