[SOLVED] native 12vhpwr (Seasonic vertex) Heat Shrink Tubing?

HaizRail007

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2015
Hello, I was wondering if heat shrink tubing would melt the 4 sense wires on the native 12vhpwr cable, because they are small and fragile. The Seasonic user manual say's don't put strain on the connecter or wiring because this could lead to overheating which could lead to melting. Also it states not to bend the cable anywhere near the connecter inside the range of 35mm. so what I was thinking was to put a piece of on the back side of the connecter and run it about 40mm, this would insure that the connecter wires didn't have to much strain on it. but I'm wondering about heat from shrinking the tubing would this melt or damage the 4 small sense wires. was trying to find a image of the cable so I could show what I was talking about, so I wouldn't need to create me a account to a imaging service. we really need it to be where we can post images directly not go through a third party service I digress.

Solution
I was thinking was to put a piece of on the back side of the connecter and run it about 40mm
Just so we're all clear, you mean heatshrink... after piece of ?

I wouldn't tamper with the cables, especially since it's possible that tampering with stock cables could void your warranty. If you're confident with what you want to do, go ahead though the structure of this thread says you're not sure what to do. If you haven't sleeved cables before or know how it's done, I'd advise against it. Applying too much heat with a heatgun can ruin the cable regardless of what gauge they may come in.

Lutfij

Titan
I was thinking was to put a piece of on the back side of the connecter and run it about 40mm

I wouldn't tamper with the cables, especially since it's possible that tampering with stock cables could void your warranty. If you're confident with what you want to do, go ahead though the structure of this thread says you're not sure what to do. If you haven't sleeved cables before or know how it's done, I'd advise against it. Applying too much heat with a heatgun can ruin the cable regardless of what gauge they may come in.

Solution

HaizRail007

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2015

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I have heat shrieked cables before but nothing that small, I decided however, not to go heat shrinking, because of the risk, instead I think I'll use split wire loom tubing that's used mostly for automotive wiring harness. that should protect the cables and provide decent cable management.

HaizRail007

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2015
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I have heat shrieked cables before but nothing that small, I decided however, not to go heat shrinking, because of the risk, instead I think I'll use split wire loom tubing that's used mostly for automotive wiring harness. that should protect the cables and provide decent cable management.
(heatshrink... after piece of ) yes, sorry for spelling typing isn't my strong suite.

Lutfij

Titan
I think I'll use split wire loom tubing that's used mostly for automotive wiring harness. that should protect the cables and provide decent cable management.
Do you really need to do all that? I mean how tight of a bend are we looking at here?

HaizRail007

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2015
I think I'll use split wire loom tubing that's used mostly for automotive wiring harness. that should protect the cables and provide decent cable management.
Do you really need to do all that? I mean how tight of a bend are we looking at here?
In this case it's not the bend but cable quality, unlike the cable from say evga cables which are bundled together in a cloth mesh, the Seasonic cables are just bundled together with zip ties. and as your running your cables it's extremally easy to get them crossed. by using the split wire loom I'll be able to run the cable's and have some play without the need of putting unnecessary strain on the connecters. to bad evga hasn't made a psu thats atx 3.0 or 5.0 compliant yet, they defiantly will need to to stay relevant.

HaizRail007

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2015
Perhaps look into the sleeved cables from Cablemod...? You can use this to grant you peace of mind in case you're worried about cable compatibility.

+ EVGA should come back with a bang by allocating resource to their other agendas, now that they've cut ties with Nvidia(for this generation perhaps).
I don't see evga going back with Nvidia, However it'd be kinda cool if they ever decided to make there on gpu or go with a competitor of Nvidia. don't get me wrong I like nvidia card's for there reliability, but there business practices are shady, so I understand why evga left. I've tried amd , and I just can't get though card to work right always a issue with then for me. if it isn't fans that won't spin, it's driver errors or artifacting, etc. don't get me wrong I love amd for there cpus, etc, and for though who have had great success out of there gpus I say great I'm happy for you, but for me I just can't say that. I watched both video's from jays2cent that showed the Evga prototype of there 4090 and man that would of been the card everyone would of wanted, everything in the right place, and by providing him with a firmware update for the bios, it proves to me at least they have what it takes to make there own gpu. so lets keep out fingers crossed and hope they will blow everyone away in the future.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lutfij

Latest posts