Navy Launches Next-Generation Stealth Destroyer

Status
Not open for further replies.

jigawatt

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
"Due to budget cuts, there were originally 32 ships of the class planned, but over time, that's been cut down to just three, causing a huge increase in the cost-per-ship, especially when research and development is taken into account."

- This sounds like the F-35 Lightning II through its development. Tons of cash dumped into it (F-35), and it only got worse since day one...

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Yet people are starving, cannot find work, living in alleyways, dying because they cannot afford health care. YAY! go US. BUT, the US gov. has this big pretty ship and a whole bunch of stuff that for "national security" nobody can know about or benefit publicly from the technological developments our taxes payed for. Big corps run our gov. and the communications industry is one huge organized monopoly. The US people are sheep and need to wake up. Who are we (our gov.) so afraid of anyhow? Where is this threat we are protecting ourselves from? The only people that ARE pissed at the US is our own gov. dang fault. It's like Days of our Lives over here, but the sad thing this is real life...

G

yeah, sweden has had similar stuff for years. go america, go (get a burger...)

Who exactly is this supposed to help us against? Any major threat is going to have satellite recon, which won't exactly not notice a giant grey thing in the water, and any target that doesn't have satellites but relies heavily on radar probably isn't enough of a threat to sea targets to merit this anyways.

I can understand wanting to cut down noise to try to hide from submarines, which rely on their own intel rather than surface intel... but the rest of it just seems like pointlessly wasted money.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
@XxXGunXxXGraveXxX China owns us and we(US gov.) made that mess in the middle east. And I don't really want to argue any of these facts I just want people to realize that all this stuff is the governments of the world bickering with each other, why do all the good people in this world have to pay the price when they are the only REAL problem.

It's a simple choice between fear and love.

meowmix44

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
MURICA!!!!!!! jk :/ This is the last thing we should be paying for in our taxes. I bet that we just want to have the best navy in the world but thats not gonna happen. Unless we have 978,000 of these ships.

G

Anyway, guys - you keep arguing whether this is waste of money or not, but keep in mind that kind of vessels push technology forward.

eza

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012
if you're the owner of something the size of a fishing dinghy you can now expect to get checked out at visual range a lot more frequently

G

@XxXGunXxXGraveXxX

So, whet US and CCCP kept in check-mate rest of the world for 40 years it was ok, right? And when other countries get to know nuclear power, then its like "oh my god, they are gonna kill us!"

irish_adam

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010

I read this comment earlier and i was going to ignore it but really?

are you retarded? yeah of course they'll notice a big grey ship, its not like they've been painting it that colour for over 100 years to blend it in or anything. Do you even know how satalite recon works? for stationary targets its great, for moving targets its useless. You cant just pick an area of sea and look at it at will, you have to wait for your satellite to fly over it and you only get a certain time frame while it orbits and comes back around. Even if the satellite did happen to fly over it, its a grey ship on a grey sea, i mean do you have any idea how big the sea is? It would be pot luck if you found it and by the time you realise you had found it it would have moved miles, you cant track moving objects with satellite imaging.

/rant

kyee7k

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
The Zumwalt was designed to replace the Ticonderoga class cruiser. The high cost is the result of ill-defined mission parameters as defined by both the senators and congresspeople at first wanting a replacement (which is what the navy needs), then a BMD platform demanded by these elected officials onto the admirals (who consequently need sponsorship for promotion). That means that mid-build, the entire ship had to be redesigned for BMD, which added significant costs to this model. Add snowball effect, and the current Zumwalt iteration is overbudget and mission-wise has much less offensive power than the proposed original design.
It will still perform very well, but the 3 ships of the class are technology demonstrators used to gain knowledge on new propulsion tech, tumblehome shape, and a much more powerful radar system. The U.S. Navy will use this knowledge to build their future fleets of Burkes or Ticonderoga replacements, just as they used the Seawolf submarines as a demonstrator for the Virginia-class.

Frankly, because of the size and firepower, I can't tell if it is a cruiser, destroyer, battlecruiser, or battleship (due to the two 155-mm cannons).;D

You have been reported for an abusive/inflammatory post. Have a nice day.

meowmix44

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013

Nice 2500K you have there.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Does it come with bluetooth, wifi, and 4G?

Also if it shows up on radar then whats stopping a country from simply using a spy satellite to look at it to find out what it really is (or do they only plan to use it when it is cloudy?

They should make it unmanned and then add a really loud speaker system and when ever they spot people killing dolphins and other endangered animals, it can generate a loud noise in the water to scare all of the fish and other animals away and thus make it so they cant catch them. Would be pretty fun if it can be automated to do that, then add some good cameras to record their reactions and upload it online.

Status
Not open for further replies.