News NBMiner Partially Cracks Nvidia Anti-Mining Limiter, Restores 70% Performance on Ampere LHR GPUs

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
Though it took longer than I expected., this was inevitable,

Between the ETC difficulty bomb and move to PoS that are supposed to come in December, Ethereum hash rate should be mostly irrelevant by then.
By then, no. After that maybe...

Even the difficulty bomb is not guaranteed to be enough to make it unprofitable. Especially if the ETH prices keep going up, as of lately.

The only certainty is the move to PoS. That will be the end of GPU mining ETH and it will be about 1 year from now ~ middle of 2022.

So everybody should expect the worse: 1 more year from now for all this cryto mining to last.

After that, there will still be GPU mining, but it will be divided between more than one alt coin and until or if it gets accumulated again into just one preferred alt coin, at some point or never, we will see. At least for a time after that if will be better for gamers.

Well you have to figure there have been shortages and the companies making gpus probably didn’t have a way to estimate how many gpus to make due to demand from gamers and miners alike. So add those facts to the idea that they are already paying more for materials for their products you can see why there are shortages and high prices.

As far as gpu prices for gamers, honestly I know people are like oh just don’t buy to teach companies a lesson. Right now they are going to sell almost every new card regardless. So I think if you have a card like a gtx 1060 or rx 580 and want an upgrade, you may have to bank on selling your old cards while prices are high to cut down the price of a new card. The people who are paying more are the people who are new to the hobby and don’t have a card yet or they’ve been out for a long time.

For Nvidia crippling the card functionality was futile. They shouldn't have done it at all. Why cripple their own business :) Instead, the authorities had to heavy limit cryptomining and forbid anonymous transactions. China already showed us what should been done.

InvalidError

Titan
For Nvidia crippling the card functionality was futile. They shouldn't have done it at all. Why cripple their own business :)
Nvidia wanted to steer miners towards its overpriced CMP cards to both price-gouge miners for inferior products and prevent the aftermarket flood that would crash market prices next time crypto goes bust - it is hard to sell "entry-level" GPUs for $400 when there are hundreds of thousands of more powerful used mining GPUs on eBay for a fraction of the price.

Making sure they don't get stuck with dead-end new products that have to compete with previous generations for sales when that crypto crash comes is likely a good chunk of the reason AMD and Nvidia are aiming for 2-3X the performance with their next-gen stuff.

InvalidError

Titan
Even the difficulty bomb is not guaranteed to be enough to make it unprofitable. Especially if the ETH prices keep going up, as of lately.
Depending on how much of an impact the bomb will have on DAG size, it could have the double-whammy of both substantially increased compute requirements and reducing the number of concurrent DAGs that can fit within GPU VRAM. For 12GB GPUs, a DAG size increase to 6GB would cut the throughput roughly in half on top of the compute difficulty and make anything 6GB or less a no-go.

Reactions: VforV
Aug 15, 2021
My heart races. This is a good thing. Keep the shortage going. Less GPUs = lower difficulty on eth = More profits for us. It also keeps GPU prices high, which will keep it out of most gamers' hands and will make it easier for us to get them and increase profits. I don't know why NVidia thought that we would just be like.... "Oh, they limited the hash rate. I guess we won't buy GPUs anymore". LMAO. It ain't gonna happen. Good try though.... Lol. It's only a matter of time until there is a 100% LHR crack. All my cards are non LHR anyway. But that's not the point. Setting LHR is a form of market manipulation and is highly unethical, then they have the nerve to lie straight to the gamers face: See, we're trying to help you. Ya ... I betcha..... lol. LHR is economically dangerous because it can pave the way for much bigger problems down the road that will eventually hurt gamers and content creators too.