Question Nearly Maxed Out Dedicated GPU Memory? FPS Problems

Jun 3, 2022
Hi everyone, I have a few questions regarding dedicated GPU memory and how it's been affecting my current pc.

For a brief overview of my problem, my PC has had FPS problems for awhile (mainly over the covid pandemic) and during this time, the parts market in general had been quite selective and limited. I was thinking the reason for the FPS drops and stuttering, even at low frames was probably because of my GPU. Since I have more spending money now, and the market is more reasonable, I'm looking to upgrade my old GPU based on what I think is wrong, but I'd like someone else to confirm my suspicions that my GPU is the problem and that an upgrade is what would fix my FPS and stuttering issues.

Firstly, here is a picture of my task manager.

lVSfgiY.png

I'm assuming the big problem here is that I only have 0.3 dedicated GPU memory to use as when I play games like ROR2 or Overwatch, my GPU utilization spikes from 60-100% I am guessing that it is because it only has 0.3 dedicated GPU memory? Another question I have, what generally is dedicated GPU memory, how did I end up with only 0.3GB to spare, and are there ways to give myself back more dedicated GPU memory?

I was looking to upgrade to an EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 12 GB XC, as my build can handle the upgrade. Will this upgrade fix my issue of FPS, lag, and stuttering in most modern games? (Keep in mind I play all my games at the lowest settings too, and I still lag.)

Any help/insight is greatly appreciated

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
It would be helpful to post the complete system specs including power supply.

3GB of VRAM is quite low for modern games. You could attempt to lower resolution and quality settings to see if anything improves. This (stutter issue) could also be in part due to an older CPU.

Reactions: kdog7

logainofhades

Titan
3gb vram isn't enough these days. Also the 1060 3gb is kinda slow, by today's standards. It's somewhere between a GTX 1650 and 1650s performance wise.

It would be helpful to post the complete system specs including power supply.

3GB of VRAM is quite low for modern games. You could attempt to lower resolution and quality settings to see if anything improves. This (stutter issue) could also be in part due to an older CPU.

No CPU would help them, as the GPU is getting fully utilized. It is the clear bottleneck, in this case.

Jun 3, 2022
I was meaning more in reference to the suggested upgrade, admittedly not very clearly.

I should have included my specs in my initial post.
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1060 3GB
16GB RAM -- 2 8GB memory cards
Motherboard is an MSI B150M Pro-D
Power supply is High Power HPG-600ST-F12S ATX 600W

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I should have included my specs in my initial post.
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1060 3GB
16GB RAM -- 2 8GB memory cards
Motherboard is an MSI B150M Pro-D
Power supply is High Power HPG-600ST-F12S ATX 600W

I feel like a 6700K is relevant enough to be worth this update. I echo above about a good PSU. This should set you up nicely for a future update in the CPU/mobo dept.

I was ingame Oldschool Runescape, not OW or ROR2 as I listed above. The pic was mainly to show my VRAM
Ahh, ok, the CPU usage was looking low for any of those games.
To answer your questions - you can't increase dedicated GPU memory (other then buying GPU with more RAM). You can decrease usage by lowering ingame settings (mainly texture quality and resolution). Fully used VRAM can cause spikes and low FPS, and low FPS can cause lag. Better GPU should certainly help with that. And better GPU certainly deserves better PSU.

logainofhades

Titan