Neat Little Tool

presto

Distinguished
May 30, 2002

I found an English To Latin translator on the web yesterday. I found it
really useful in conjuring up Verbal Components to use in-game. Not every
possible word is represented, but enough to represent 90% of the spells I
tried to translate. For whatever was leftover I just used Babelfish to get
portuguese. :)

Anyway, here's the link.

http://sunsite.ubc.ca/LatinDictionary/

There seems to be a little discrepancy between the Java and HTML versions,
so use both if you don't find what you're looking for.

--
==========
Are you a RPG Player?

Presto wrote:
> "phy" <phy00x@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > It is people like you that make people like Jack Chick think that
D&D uses
> > real satanic spells and rituals. Please post diagrams.
> >

> Because I'd rather say "Dens Potentia" instead of "Magic Fang"?

That wasn't a dig at you - we *like* it when Jack Chick's
head explodes.

Walt Smith
Firelock on DALNet

Presto wrote:
> I found an English To Latin translator on the web yesterday. I found
it
> really useful in conjuring up Verbal Components to use in-game. Not
every
> possible word is represented, but enough to represent 90% of the
spells I
> tried to translate. For whatever was leftover I just used Babelfish
to get
> portuguese. :)
>
> Anyway, here's the link.
>
> http://sunsite.ubc.ca/LatinDictionary/
>
> There seems to be a little discrepancy between the Java and HTML
versions,
> so use both if you don't find what you're looking for.

http://www.nd.edu/~archives/latgramm.htm

Seems to do a better job. Although I had to use both to come up with
"Fulmen Ictus!" I think I like the Portuguese "Parafuso do
Relâmpago!" better from google's translater. The former is probably
easier in practice though.

..
..
..

Either one sure beats running around yelling "Lightning Bolt! Lightning
Bolt!" though. ;)

- Justisaur

"Presto" <donotuse@thisaddress.no> wrote in

> I found an English To Latin translator on the web yesterday. I found
> it really useful in conjuring up Verbal Components to use in-game.
> Not every possible word is represented, but enough to represent 90% of
> the spells I tried to translate. For whatever was leftover I just
> used Babelfish to get portuguese. :)

It is people like you that make people like Jack Chick think that D&D uses
real satanic spells and rituals. Please post diagrams.

-phy

presto

Distinguished
May 30, 2002

"phy" <phy00x@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "Presto" <donotuse@thisaddress.no> wrote in
>
> > I found an English To Latin translator on the web yesterday. I found
> > it really useful in conjuring up Verbal Components to use in-game.
> > Not every possible word is represented, but enough to represent 90% of
> > the spells I tried to translate. For whatever was leftover I just
> > used Babelfish to get portuguese. :)
>
> It is people like you that make people like Jack Chick think that D&D uses
> real satanic spells and rituals. Please post diagrams.

Because I'd rather say "Dens Potentia" instead of "Magic Fang"?

--
==========
Are you a RPG Player?
Visit my website: http://www.morvia.tk

Matthias

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2003

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 13:43:30 GMT, "Presto" <donotuse@thisaddress.no> wrote:

>I found an English To Latin translator on the web yesterday. I found it
>really useful in conjuring up Verbal Components to use in-game. Not every
>possible word is represented, but enough to represent 90% of the spells I
>tried to translate. For whatever was leftover I just used Babelfish to get
>portuguese. :)
>
>Anyway, here's the link.
>
>http://sunsite.ubc.ca/LatinDictionary/
>
>There seems to be a little discrepancy between the Java and HTML versions,
>so use both if you don't find what you're looking for.

So is real-world Latin the Draconic of your game world? Or have you made the
language of magic separate from Draconic.

--

Matthias (matthias_mls@yahoo.com)

"Scientists tend to do philosophy about as well as you'd expect philosophers to
do science, the difference being that at least the philosophers usually *know*
when they're out of their depth."
-Jeff Heikkinen

Mere moments before death, Justisaur hastily scrawled:
>Presto wrote:
>>
>> I found an English To Latin translator on the web yesterday. I found it
>> really useful in conjuring up Verbal Components to use in-game. Not every
>> possible word is represented, but enough to represent 90% of the spells I
>> tried to translate. For whatever was leftover I just used Babelfish to get
>> portuguese. :)
>>
>> Anyway, here's the link.
>>
>> http://sunsite.ubc.ca/LatinDictionary/
>>
>> There seems to be a little discrepancy between the Java and HTML
>versions,
>> so use both if you don't find what you're looking for.
>>

>http://www.nd.edu/~archives/latgramm.htm
>
>Seems to do a better job. Although I had to use both to come up with
>"Fulmen Ictus!" I think I like the Portuguese "Parafuso do
>Relâmpago!" better from google's translater. The former is probably
>easier in practice though.
>
>.
>.
>.
>
>Either one sure beats running around yelling "Lightning Bolt! Lightning
>Bolt!" though. ;)

*ahem*

/Nothing/ beats "Lightning Bolt! Lightning Bolt! Lightning Bolt!"

Ed Chauvin IV

modifier G @ 11.

--Terry Austin

presto

Distinguished
May 30, 2002

<firelock_ny@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Presto wrote:
> > "phy" <phy00x@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > It is people like you that make people like Jack Chick think that
> D&D uses
> > > real satanic spells and rituals. Please post diagrams.
> > >

> > Because I'd rather say "Dens Potentia" instead of "Magic Fang"?
>
> That wasn't a dig at you - we *like* it when Jack Chick's
> head explodes.

*whew* OK. I honestly couldn't tell if you were being sarcastic or not.
Me dumb.

--
==========
Are you a RPG Player?
Visit my website: http://www.morvia.tk

"It wasn't my fault."
- Snitsky

presto

Distinguished
May 30, 2002

"Matthias" <matthias_mls@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 13:43:30 GMT, "Presto" <donotuse@thisaddress.no>
wrote:

> >I found an English To Latin translator on the web yesterday. I found it
> >really useful in conjuring up Verbal Components to use in-game. Not
every
> >possible word is represented, but enough to represent 90% of the spells I
> >tried to translate. For whatever was leftover I just used Babelfish to
get
> >portuguese. :)
> >
> >Anyway, here's the link.
> >
> >http://sunsite.ubc.ca/LatinDictionary/
> >
> >There seems to be a little discrepancy between the Java and HTML
versions,
> >so use both if you don't find what you're looking for.
>
> So is real-world Latin the Draconic of your game world? Or have you made
the
> language of magic separate from Draconic.

I just thought it sounded cool. I'm not looking for grammatically correct
Latin or anything. I'm just looking to squeeze a few more points of
roleplaying XP per game. :-D

--
==========

"Justisaur" <justisaur@gmail.com> wrote in message

Presto wrote:
> I found an English To Latin translator on the web yesterday. I found
it
> really useful in conjuring up Verbal Components to use in-game. Not
every
> possible word is represented, but enough to represent 90% of the
spells I
> tried to translate. For whatever was leftover I just used Babelfish
to get
> portuguese. :)
>
> Anyway, here's the link.
>
> http://sunsite.ubc.ca/LatinDictionary/
>
> There seems to be a little discrepancy between the Java and HTML
versions,
> so use both if you don't find what you're looking for.

http://www.nd.edu/~archives/latgramm.htm

Seems to do a better job. Although I had to use both to come up with
"Fulmen Ictus!" I think I like the Portuguese "Parafuso do
Relâmpago!" better from google's translater. The former is probably
easier in practice though.

Hey, thanks! The more resources, the better.

..
..
..

Either one sure beats running around yelling "Lightning Bolt! Lightning
Bolt!" though. ;)

Funny. For lightning bolt, I like to put my hands straight out and go
"Ha-DO-ken!" Probably more appropriate for Fireball, but frig it.

--
==========

> <firelock_ny@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Presto wrote:
>> > "phy" <phy00x@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> D&D uses
>> > >

>> > Because I'd rather say "Dens Potentia" instead of "Magic Fang"?
>>
>> That wasn't a dig at you - we *like* it when Jack Chick's
>> head explodes.
>
> *whew* OK. I honestly couldn't tell if you were being sarcastic or not.
> Me dumb.

The request for diagrams was suppose to be a tip-off.

-phy

Matthias

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2003

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 19:57:36 GMT, "Presto" <donotuse@thisaddress.no> wrote:

>"Matthias" <matthias_mls@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 13:43:30 GMT, "Presto" <donotuse@thisaddress.no>
>wrote:
>>
>> >I found an English To Latin translator on the web yesterday. I found it
>> >really useful in conjuring up Verbal Components to use in-game. Not
>every
>> >possible word is represented, but enough to represent 90% of the spells I
>> >tried to translate. For whatever was leftover I just used Babelfish to
>get
>> >portuguese. :)
>> >
>> >Anyway, here's the link.
>> >
>> >http://sunsite.ubc.ca/LatinDictionary/
>> >
>> >There seems to be a little discrepancy between the Java and HTML
>versions,
>> >so use both if you don't find what you're looking for.
>>
>> So is real-world Latin the Draconic of your game world? Or have you made
>the
>> language of magic separate from Draconic.
>
>I just thought it sounded cool. I'm not looking for grammatically correct
>Latin or anything. I'm just looking to squeeze a few more points of
>roleplaying XP per game. :-D

And that is never a bad thing. :)