Nec 2510A DVD RW

My new dual layer dvd burner is showing up under my computer as a cd drive.
My dvd rom drive shows up as a dvd rom drive under my computer. Why? When
I try to play a dvd on the burner it will not play automatically. If i open
it in windows media player it will play fine. It plays automatically when
inserted into my dvd rom drive.

I have the rom drive hooked up as a master and the burner hooked up as a
slave.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Ray

steveh

"Ray Dunn" <rdunn@mrsd.org> wrote in message
> My new dual layer dvd burner is showing up under my computer as a cd
> drive.
> My dvd rom drive shows up as a dvd rom drive under my computer. Why?
> When
> I try to play a dvd on the burner it will not play automatically. If i
> open
> it in windows media player it will play fine. It plays automatically when
> inserted into my dvd rom drive.
>
> I have the rom drive hooked up as a master and the burner hooked up as a
> slave.
> Any ideas?
> Thanks,
> Ray

I would guess that whichever burner software you have installed has turned
off auto insert notifation for the DVD burner (I think Nero, for exmple does
this) which would be why they don't play automatically.
I normally have the DVD burner as master and the other optical device as
slave. This may be why its being identified as a CD drive, but I doubt it.
As long as it works properly, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

HTH
SteveH

SteveH wrote:

> "Ray Dunn" <rdunn@mrsd.org> wrote in message
>
>>My new dual layer dvd burner is showing up under my computer as a cd
>>drive.
>>My dvd rom drive shows up as a dvd rom drive under my computer. Why?
>>When
>>I try to play a dvd on the burner it will not play automatically. If i
>>open
>>it in windows media player it will play fine. It plays automatically when
>>inserted into my dvd rom drive.
>>
>>I have the rom drive hooked up as a master and the burner hooked up as a
>>slave.
>>Any ideas?
>>Thanks,
>>Ray
>>

> I would guess that whichever burner software you have installed has turned
> off auto insert notifation for the DVD burner (I think Nero, for exmple does
> this) which would be why they don't play automatically.
> I normally have the DVD burner as master and the other optical device as
> slave. This may be why its being identified as a CD drive, but I doubt it.
> As long as it works properly, I wouldn't worry about it too much.
>
> HTH
> SteveH

I had similar problems when I installed my DVD burner and already had a
CD burner in the box. I disconnected the CD to troubleshoot and when
the problems went away, I removed the CD completely.

"The Chief" <cwo@usarmy.ret> wrote in message
> SteveH wrote:
>
>> "Ray Dunn" <rdunn@mrsd.org> wrote in message
>>
>>>My new dual layer dvd burner is showing up under my computer as a cd
>>>drive.
>>>My dvd rom drive shows up as a dvd rom drive under my computer. Why?
>>>When
>>>I try to play a dvd on the burner it will not play automatically. If i
>>>open
>>>it in windows media player it will play fine. It plays automatically
>>>when
>>>inserted into my dvd rom drive.
>>>
>>>I have the rom drive hooked up as a master and the burner hooked up as a
>>>slave.
>>>Any ideas?
>>>Thanks,
>>>Ray
>>>

>> I would guess that whichever burner software you have installed has
>> turned off auto insert notifation for the DVD burner (I think Nero, for
>> exmple does this) which would be why they don't play automatically.
>> I normally have the DVD burner as master and the other optical device as
>> slave. This may be why its being identified as a CD drive, but I doubt
>> it. As long as it works properly, I wouldn't worry about it too much.
>>
>> HTH
>> SteveH
> I had similar problems when I installed my DVD burner and already had a CD
> burner in the box. I disconnected the CD to troubleshoot and when the
> problems went away, I removed the CD completely.

Go to "My Computer", right click on the drive letter for your drive, click
properties at the bottom of page, and tell it what you want it to do when a
disk is inserted.

TRENDING THREADS