NEC Intros First Smartphone with Liquid Cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.

aibenq

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
well, they target is lady is more likely fitted. woman is kinda hate when they phone warmed, specially on summer. so if the phone is cooler, the result they will able hold the phone longer and able to do many activity longer without worrying overheating they phone.
well, we man rare complain about the heat because we kinda ignore it... :Da

InvalidError

Titan
A lot of wireless gadgetry does have a (crude) cooling system: a copper sheet that serves both as an EMI shield and a heat-spreader to soften major hotspots.
I think the fancy liquid cooling is more about spreading heat around more effectively to reduce uncomfortable hotspots than anything else.

tului

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
My girlfriend tried liquid cooling an iPhone 4. Dropped it in the toilet. Apparently it reached temperatures so low it would no longer turn on >:)

WithoutWeakness

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
Heatpipes now constitute liquid cooling? I guess my graphics cards and my motherboard are liquid cooled now. Running a tower heatsink on your CPU? You're liquid cooling!

thegreatms

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2011
@irish_adam
Nope, heat pipes are not solid. They are generally filled with a liquid/gas that evaporates and condenses at the correct temperature to allow the convective flow of the gas to transport the heat from the source to the sink.
A well designed heat pipe can move many times more heat than the same diameter solid copper pipe.

She just placed it where it belongs, LOL.

Heatpipe is NOT liquid cooling, at least not by the widely accepted definition of it. If anything, it's phase-change cooling.

This is not powered cooling, it's the phase-change that creates the movement of fluid through the heat pipes. Everything is passive. No power required.

-Jackson

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012

Ahem, "liquid-filled" heatpipes. :p

laststop311

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
Is this basically like a mini vapor chamber? Phones are already fanless. Can this method dissipate a higher tdp of heat? or does it run the same tdp cooler? What temp does its 1.7ghz qualcomm 600 hit when cpu/gpu are fully stressed for 30 mins? What temp does the htc one with 1.7ghz qualcomm 600 hit when fully loading cpu and gpu? Is this any better then the standard passive radiators? The article doesnt give any real info. Where is Anand when u need him. Sorry tom Anand owns you hardcore anal style.

InvalidError

Titan

How much heat the heat pipe can transfer is pointless since the ultimate heatsink in mobile devices is the device's body. No matter how good the heatpipe may be, you still do not want to exceed what power the device's body can dissipate without generating uncomfortable heating.

Personally, I find hotspot - uneven heating - on modern devices somewhat annoying so I would welcome lower TDP chips with more efficient heat-spreading to eliminate hotspots.

Status
Not open for further replies.