Wtfbro

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
Hi.

I have a Samsung HM500JI as external drive by USB 3.0 in my frontal panel (Antec 902 v3), which is connected to the back panel USB 3.0 port of my Asus P8P67 Pro.

Yesterday I accidentally disconnected this usb 3.0 cable while uTorrent was downloading something to the Samsung drive. Since this happened my USB 3.0 ports disconnect and reconnect in a few seconds periodically. It's like someone unplugs and plugs again the HDD, I even hear the windows sound when this happens. If I connect the Samsung by USB 2.0 none of this happens, I already cheked SMART parameters, etc and nothing seems to be wrong with the HDD. Which led me to think it's the USB 3.0 controller what is failing.

The HDD case is a Natec Rhino and the motherboard's USB 3.0 controller is Nec.

I've tried uninstalling and resintalling the drivers for NEC controller but nothing changed. The HDD keeps disconnecting and reconnecting once in a while.

Can you really break the usb 3.0 controller just by not properly unplug some device?? Can I fix this or at least test it to prove the controller is broken and RMA it? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

PS: Forgive my english.

The USB3 connector (back panel USB 3.0 port) contacts are easy to bend out of alignment by mistreatment. Look into the connector and see if the USB3 contacts are bent. Try it in a USB2 connector it should work without problem.

Wtfbro

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012

The drive works perfectly fine, no tool detected any error so far and it works fine by USB2. Even by USB3 seems fine, only that it disconnect-reconnect each 10-15 min non-stop.

The USB3 connector (back panel USB 3.0 port) contacts are easy to bend out of alignment by mistreatment. Look into the connector and see if the USB3 contacts are bent. Try it in a USB2 connector it should work without problem.

I dont think I have mistreat it, I just unplugged the wrong cable accidentally, anyway I'll take a look at this tomorrow and see if I can see anything bent.

Wtfbro

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012

I didn't see anything bend, but I got 2 USB3 ports at the back panel and not only the one I accidentally disconnected isn't working, the drive disconnects-reconnects also when using the other one next to it (that I never used for anything before). This is why I think is the NEC controller what is failing...

Is there any software I can use to prove it is broken? Or at least is there any software I could use to log USB3 ports and show to the people from my store that it fails? I mean like a log I could show them where they could see that each 15-20 min the HDD drive disconnects and reconnects by itself.