NEC V801 Review: Benchmarking A Massive 80-Inch Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, 1920x1080... those pixels are 0.92mm square. That's pretty easy to see with the naked eye; far bigger than a full stop.

27.5ppi... *shudders*.

EDIT:
the V801’s size is better expressed in feet: 227.6 (69.37 square meters for the rest of the world)

Ummm... 70 square meters is pretty big. That's about half of the average house. I think you'll find it's ~1.76 m² or 19 ft².

siliconvideo

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2008
Be careful with current 4k screens, all of them for 2 reasons.

1) There is no 4K content available from anywhere. The movie studios are pushing to requiring HDCP 2.2 compliant 4k screens before they will release content and all current 4k are not HDCP 2.2 compliant, only HDCP 1.4.

2) Current HDMI specifications only allow for 4k@30 transport which is sufficient for movies, however the native glass in these devices generally do 4k@60 which means the screens are doing some format conversion. True 4k@60 requires HDMI 2.0 which has only just been released and no chips support yet. So these screens are generally not good for video games either

siliconvideo

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2008
Be careful with current 4k screens, all of them for 2 reasons.

1) There is no 4K content available from anywhere. The movie studios are pushing to requiring HDCP 2.2 compliant 4k screens before they will release content and all current 4k are not HDCP 2.2 compliant, only HDCP 1.4.

2) Current HDMI specifications only allow for 4k@30 transport which is sufficient for movies, however the native glass in these devices generally do 4k@60 which means the screens are doing some format conversion. True 4k@60 requires HDMI 2.0 which has only just been released and no chips support yet. So these screens are generally not good for video games either

chumly

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
Show me the idiot that spends $10k on a 1080p 80" panel. I bet you can see every single pixel with your naked eye from 6 feet.. What a stupid stupid stupid idea.

I'm not sure any of you read the first paragraph:
This 80-inch LED/LCD screen is a commercial-grade model that can be used for just about anything requiring a large display. You would most likely see the V801 in an airport, for example, functioning as a dynamic message board or showing news feeds, for example. Obviously nobody's going to set this beast up on their desktop.

This is obviously not meant for personal use. This is not meant to be viewed from up close.

tential

Honorable
May 19, 2013
I love everyone commenting on "You can see EVERY pixel OMG OMG OMG!" yet you've never owned a large display probably.
I've seen 80 inch TVs in person and these fears are just pathetically sad. I own a 70 inch HDTV as my primary "monitor" and I never go "I NEED 4k!!!!!!"
Why would I even NEED 4K at the moment? HDMI doesn't support it yet, and there is ZERO 4K content. If for gaming, the gaming rig necessary to power such a thing is WAY too expensive, and new cards will scale better with resolution than past cards.

People need to stop commenting (mainly people like chumly), when you've never used such a product before.

My biggest knock is price. If I can get an HDTV for 1/10 the price on some of these black friday/christmas sales, it really makes no sense to get this. I can get that 70-80 inch HDTV for 700-1000 dollars, then pocket the 6k-7k extra and wait for the 4K versions to come out later. Maybe they'll even have OLED 4K by then.
But that being said, this monitor did compete and beat MOST displays in MANY specs. It's a GREAT monitor. But I just think that if I'm going to invest 8k into a tech, it shouldn't be at the end of its lifestyle. I hope they put this type of effort/quality where it competes/beats many HDTVs out on the market onto their 4K model when it is ready.

A monitor this big needs to be reviewed also as an "HDTV" where Movies/TV is watched on it and since that was omitted, I think this is pretty much not too useful to most people who would want a display this big.

I feel like a lot of people commenting didn't read though, and simply posted.

We haven't owned 1080P TV's that large for the negative reasons we are talking about, my grandpa owns a 65" and it looks fine if you sit way back but anywhere near it very blurred and distorted due to lack of pixel density

"You would most likely see the V801 in an airport, for example, functioning as a dynamic message board or showing news feeds"

if my airport is buying $10,000 monitors to show me which gate to go to... I'd rather have a discount on my air fare pls...

if someone thinks they need a $10,000 monitor to show TEXT on a black background... well, I odn't know what to say

I love how you go into the cost benefit analysis of the whole 4K vs 1080p and the practicality of it... while ignoring the fact that this thing costs $9,400... that's nearly 10 friggin grand. it's sturdy and built to last... now I'd expect there to be 4K content 5 years down the road from now...

ikaz

Distinguished
Ok, for every one posting about the cost and and resolution needs to calm down and remember this is a comerical product. Your right you shouldn't and wouldn't buy this for person use, normally the cost also cover the warrentee and support which much better than what you would find at your local wallmart.

Also if you look around business like the airport or just other office building those monitors they have up and running probably cost 3x as much as your person setup at home and may not even be 1080p. People either don't know or understand that business is a much different beast than personal. If you read the guide you will see that the monitor conforms to different standards (like dicom) that are required in some industries.

ikaz

Distinguished
Ok, for every one posting about the cost and and resolution needs to calm down and remember this is a comerical product. Your right you shouldn't and wouldn't buy this for person use, normally the cost also cover the warrentee and support which much better than what you would find at your local wallmart.

Also if you look around business like the airport or just other office building those monitors they have up and running probably cost 3x as much as your person setup at home and may not even be 1080p. People either don't know or understand that business is a much different beast than personal. If you read the guide you will see that the monitor conforms to different standards (like dicom) that are required in some industries.

ikaz

Distinguished

Status
Not open for further replies.