[SOLVED] necessary setup of motherboard for BIOS update

adnan_16a2

Prominent
Apr 13, 2019
I'm starting to build a new PC and have asrock b360m-hdv motherboard along with i5-9400f. The factory bios P3.00 doesn't recognize this CPU yet so I've to update it. What should be the necessary setup (connections and components) required so I can boot into bios settings and update it? The PC isn't assembled yet.

Solution
OK. Install the CPU (and its cooler) and RAM. You don't need to install any drives (SSD or HDD). If the CPU has a working iGPU you don't need a separate graphics card, so plug the monitor to one of the motherboard display connectors. Plug the PSU power cables (ATX and EPS) to the motherboard. Connect a mouse and a keyboard and you should be ready.

Finally you have 2 options for updating the BIOS.

1)Update the BIOS with a USB flash drive which means that you first have to download the BIOS update from another PC and copy it to the flash drive.
2)Update the BIOS through the Internet in which case you have to plug a network (ethernet) cable from the router to the motherboard.

Keep in mind that the 2nd option requires the motherboard to...
You have to install another compatible CPU in order to update the BIOS and if you don't have one at your disposal you can't do the update. Therefore you should return the motherboard to where you bought it and have them update it for you or get another motherboard, as someone has already said. Good luck

OK. Install the CPU (and its cooler) and RAM. You don't need to install any drives (SSD or HDD). If the CPU has a working iGPU you don't need a separate graphics card, so plug the monitor to one of the motherboard display connectors. Plug the PSU power cables (ATX and EPS) to the motherboard. Connect a mouse and a keyboard and you should be ready.

Finally you have 2 options for updating the BIOS.

1)Update the BIOS with a USB flash drive which means that you first have to download the BIOS update from another PC and copy it to the flash drive.
2)Update the BIOS through the Internet in which case you have to plug a network (ethernet) cable from the router to the motherboard.

Keep in mind that the 2nd option requires the motherboard to support BIOS updating through the Internet. Although most new motherboards do have that feature, you can never be certain. Good luck.

Last edited:
Solution