[SOLVED] Necessary to Clean Top of Monitor with Dust on It?

Crag_Hack

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2015
Hi I have a quick question - is it a good idea to dust off the top of my ultrawide monitor? (Dell Alienware AW3418DW ultrawide 34" 3440x1440) My dad keeps insisting dust can short out components... Also wondering if dust could impact the ability of the monitor to passively radiate heat out of the top. I have attached two pictures of the top of the monitor; as you can see there are alternating plastic strips from the front to the back that the dust collects on. It appears there is no way for dust to get inside due to these strips. Can anybody shed some light on this?

strips.jpg

strips.png

Last edited:
Reactions: benjonas9385

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I have attached a picture of the top of the monitor

Either i'm blind or you didn't include the image.

it appears there is no way for dust to get inside due to these strips.

If air can get into it - so can dust.

My dad keeps insisting dust can short out components...

That is true.

While domestic dust isn't electrically conductive itself, it still can cause ESD (Electrostatic discharge).

Also wondering if dust could impact the ability of the monitor to passively radiate heat out of the top.

It can. Especially when there is a lot of dust. Dust acts like an insulator (e.g blanket), that keeps heat passing through it.

is it a good idea to dust off the top of my ultrawide monitor?

Wiping the monitor once a month wouldn't be such an issue now, wouldn't it? Same goes to the innards of your PC as well.

Crag_Hack

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2015
@Aeacus Sorry had some trouble uploading the image; they are present now. No danger from ESD discharge while wiping the top of the monitor? That was my only concern about wiping it down. I can use an anti-static cloth from front to back should do the job pretty well.

Ralston18

Titan
Absolutely dust that monitor.

Just follow the manufacturer's cleaning/maintenance/care instructions per the User Guide/Manual.

The dust (due to electrostatic attraction) will also build up inside the monitor and lead to overheating. Heat is an enemy of electronics.

You should keep all electronics clean and clear of dust. No need for overkill but do not let dust bunnies take over.

Especially inside of a computer case - I suggest that you check there as well.

Crag_Hack

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2015
@Ralston18 If you look at the manual here there are no dusting instructions.

Is it feasible that dust will get in the monitor no matter what regardless of whether or not you dust off the top with a cloth? Isn't the dust that accumulates on top going to stay there and thus not have any negative effect on the monitor? I guess that's my logic I've been using to justify not cleaning things. But then again you know what they say... better safe than sorry.

I would dust it, because as it is, there is dust just sitting waiting to fall in.
I would personally use a very lightly dampened cloth (you obviously dont want liquid to drip in)..windex would work. The reason being - a dry cloth would push the dust, with some falling in each time, whereas the dust would adhere to a very slightly dampened cloth.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There's only 2 times that dust can enter the top of that monitor. When it's not in use or when you push it in during cleaning. If the monitor is on, there's enough heat from the leds and boards rising through natural convection, that will make it virtually impossible for dust to go into the monitor, never mind settle there.

There's no electronics anywhere close to the top of the case, all electronics are centrally located, so even a Swiffer Duster is fine to use. Avoid other dry materials, or as said you'll end up pushing dust into the cracks, leaving the inside dirty but the top clean.

Do not use any cleaners like Windex that contain ammonia, it's bad for plastics in general, but worse for the screen. Best is to use a flannel washcloth that's been dampened in soapy water and wrung out dry as possible, or use the washcloth spritzed with a 50/50 mix of water and isopropyl alcohol.

Unplug the monitor before cleaning.

Ralston18

Titan
Okay - the manual does not explicitly mention dusting per Page 25 "Maintenance guidelines".

Bullet #2 "Use a lightly-dampened, warm cloth to clean the monitor."

Cleaning, to me, includes dusting. And removal of dust would certainly be the result of a "a lightly-dampened, warm cloth".

However, I will defer to the lawyers to fight out such details.

There is probably some case reference in a stack of old, dusty law books. :)