Question Necessary to upgrade?

Geertt2

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2012
Current Situation
I am currently using a custom built system that I piece together around 6 years ago or so.
Motherboard: Asus X99-A
CPU: Intel i7-5820k (Liquid cooling)
Ram: DDR4 16g
Graphics card: single GTX 980
Hard Drives: 2x 500gb SSD's
Monitor: Samsung S34E790C

I do not do any high intensive gaming such as 4k gaming on this system although I do enjoy running games on ultra wide in max settings (World of Tanks, Star Citizen)

Question:
1.) Should I upgrade any of my parts or just wait until everything breaks down?
2.) Do I need more ram?
3.) Should I switch to M.2 NVMe?
4.) Should I upgrade the graphics card or wait until prices decreases for the RTX 2080 series since the RTX 3090 is coming out relatively soon?

Thank you all for your constructive responses! Appreciate it!

I would wait for the RTX 3000 series cards to come out and update your GPU, your CPU is still quite good.

NVMes, hell SSD's dont help with actual performance only load times and in most games the difference between a standard SATA and PCIe NVMe drive is minimal due to how files are read.

The 5820k is a fair bit slower then modern chips at 1080, but since you have an ultrawide, you would probably not notice much of a difference as ultrawides are usually 1440p or higher(unless its a cheap 1080p ultrawide). The 5820k will perform within 5fps of modern chips at higher resolutions.
I'd run your 5820k till it dies, in ~2 years, ddr5 should be out and whatever new platform there is will probably be worth considering instead.

In star citizen, many people claim a performance improvement when moving to a nvme drive, it may be true considering the mess of a game SC is. I tried it out, switching my SC install from a mx500 to a 660p nvme drive, but I saw zero difference.

What is your psu model? I'd imagine it's half decent to power a gtx980 and a 5820k.

Reactions: Geertt2

Geertt2

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2012
The 5820k is a fair bit slower then modern chips at 1080, but since you have an ultrawide, you would probably not notice much of a difference as ultrawides are usually 1440p or higher(unless its a cheap 1080p ultrawide). The 5820k will perform within 5fps of modern chips at higher resolutions.
I'd run your 5820k till it dies, in ~2 years, ddr5 should be out and whatever new platform there is will probably be worth considering instead.

In star citizen, many people claim a performance improvement when moving to a nvme drive, it may be true considering the mess of a game SC is. I tried it out, switching my SC install from a mx500 to a 660p nvme drive, but I saw zero difference.

What is your psu model? I'd imagine it's half decent to power a gtx980 and a 5820k.

psu is corsair ax1200i

Question:
1.) Should I upgrade any of my parts or just wait until everything breaks down?
2.) Do I need more ram?
3.) Should I switch to M.2 NVMe?
4.) Should I upgrade the graphics card or wait until prices decreases for the RTX 2080 series since the RTX 3090 is coming out relatively soon?
Are you satisfied with current performance of your system?
If yes, then no upgrade necessary.
If no, then - What's the issue with your system? What can't it do well enough?

Geertt2

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2012
Are you satisfied with current performance of your system?
If yes, then no upgrade necessary.
If no, then - What's the issue with your system? What can't it do well enough?

the systems seems to feel sluggish recently. opening up a browser even if there is only 1 tab seem to have 10-15 processes and takes up around 25% of memory. Normally I have a game app open, browsing the internet, streaming, running a vpn client all at the same time. I'm wondering if 16g isn't enough anymore.

Taylore12

Honorable
Jan 19, 2014
the systems seems to feel sluggish recently. opening up a browser even if there is only 1 tab seem to have 10-15 processes and takes up around 25% of memory. Normally I have a game app open, browsing the internet, streaming, running a vpn client all at the same time. I'm wondering if 16g isn't enough anymore.

So I recently upgraded three days ago from an i5 7600k, GTX 1070 build with 16gb of ram to a i7 10700k & 2070 Super which is very similar to the performance you will get out of your system. I highly recommend upgrading as I am getting closer to 30% performance increase when you include the fact that you're probably going to be getting better airflow and CPU & GPU Temps. I strongly believe that the 3000 series Nvidia cards are going to come out even more expensive than the last model did with the rumors of high VRAM (not that it matters all that much) and I can't see 'the performance being as much as a gap as the 1070 was to the 2070 & 2070 super.

Geertt2

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2012
What cpu/gpu temperatures are you getting on idle/load?
What ram utilization are you getting?
Have you checked your system for infections (malware,viruses)?

I'm getting 28-30 Celsius idle and 42-45 under load.
ram is running around 45-50 c.
ram utilization is around 50% out of 16g.
I run virus and malware protection regularly.