NEC's 43-inch Curved Monitor On Sale July (Drool)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
Extremely cool.

I would buy it directly after buying my Ferrari.

I currently have a samsung 25.5 and no Ferrari.

Res seems low for a monitor that big.

They need to put an apple logo on the front.

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
LOL at comments again, so entertaining. This monitor is for productivity, not pleasure. Only someone that is going to make money off the gain in productivity from acquiring such a monitor, is going to buy it. Not a gamer or someone who just wants to watch movies on the computer.

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
$8 grand? Sure. Let me just write you check. Its big, pretty slick and has not the best specs and costs a lot. Apple? I think I smell Apples? Well at least it seems like something Apple would try.

FSXFan

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
[citation][nom]nachowarrior[/nom]there was a similar monitor for 15k supposedly being released through alienware, havn't seen it since last year. only that monitor was 15k and had a MUCH higher resolution and utilized dlp tech[/citation]

I think the Alienware and NEC are the same. Look up the Alienware again, it's 2880x900 also. The NEC is also a DLP which you will see if you look up some other pics of it. They both look exactly alike with a different name on the front.

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
[citation][nom]eyemaster[/nom]LOL at comments again, so entertaining. This monitor is for productivity, not pleasure. Only someone that is going to make money off the gain in productivity from acquiring such a monitor, is going to buy it. Not a gamer or someone who just wants to watch movies on the computer.[/citation]

I fail to see how this would increase productivity. Its lack of vertical resolution means that its useless for anyone doing 2D or 3D graphics work or any video work. The comparatively low resolution compared to a 30" display means that it is useless compared to one, two or even three 30" 2560x1600 displays for anyone that deals with lots of windows, i.e. coding, finance etc.

Honestly, the only market I can see this being useful in is in props for TV shows or films where it'd look 'cool' and 'futuristic'. Expect to see it in an upcoming series of CSI complete with low res animations and lots of beeping and wirring.

G

For all the people claiming this is for productivity and business use in workstation graphics, 3D, development, visual arts etc - 900 vertical pixels is HORRIFIC to work on when most 15" laptops support more. Modelling, animation, DTP, visualisation and even many code development apps crave real estate for tool palettes, controls, etc. It's not useful for me to have to move my mouse three feet to left or right each time I want to play with a menu or pick a new tool. Anyone doing anything visual these days (for screen display) is more often than not at least mastering in HD, even if it's going to SD for now. The only useful HD mastering happening on this monitor will be at 720p - which ... would just be stupid really for anyone who's got the money to afford one of these... I reckon this will only be fun for playing the games that support this kind of aspect ratio / resolution..

Status
Not open for further replies.