Need 100% guide to my overclock

Adam_231

Prominent
May 3, 2017
Hey, I'm a gamer, but I know almost 0 about computers. I found some youtube videos with my pc build instructing how to overclock but a lot of them say you need good cooling and stuff. I dont know if my specific system has this.
I also don't want a CRAZY FAST SPEED, but rather I want my pc to last 1-2 years.
PLEASE HELP.
PC SPECS:
Windows 7 HP 64bit
i7-4770k @3.5ghz
8gb ram
gtx 770
asus z87-g41

If someone could explain how to start an overclock, and what moderate settings would be, so my parts could last 2years max, that would be awsome. Thx -Adam

Solution
If the i7-4770k is being cooled by the stock heatsink I would not overclock it.

If the CPU has aftermarket air cooling then I would first change my thermal paste as it loses all thermal conductive properties after a year.

Upon finding an aftermarket heatsink I would go into BIOS, change my CPU voltage from auto to +- 0.000 and increase my multiplier by .5. Then I would reboot run p95 for 25 min monitoring temps. After each stress test restart the computer and increase the multiplier by .5 (100 MHz) until it crashes or locks up. Once that happens the volts will need to be increased to maintain system stability.

Adam_231

Prominent
May 3, 2017

I dont know how to check cooling. I dont have water cooling, its 800W power supply and that all I know.

Jack_242

Prominent
Feb 25, 2017
If the i7-4770k is being cooled by the stock heatsink I would not overclock it.

If the CPU has aftermarket air cooling then I would first change my thermal paste as it loses all thermal conductive properties after a year.

Upon finding an aftermarket heatsink I would go into BIOS, change my CPU voltage from auto to +- 0.000 and increase my multiplier by .5. Then I would reboot run p95 for 25 min monitoring temps. After each stress test restart the computer and increase the multiplier by .5 (100 MHz) until it crashes or locks up. Once that happens the volts will need to be increased to maintain system stability.

Solution