[SOLVED] Need 4pin and 8pin power supply for my Inspiron 3670

Jan 1, 2019
I just purchased an Inspiron 3670 which is pretty bare bones. I had an existing USB PCIe expansion card I wanted to put in the but power supply had no additional slots. The SATA devices get their power from a 4-pin "outlet" on the mother board.

I have a Corsair CX850M PSU that is relatively new from my PC that just died. I tried using it but it has an 8 pin power and 24 pin power. All the other outlets/cords are 6 pin PCI. The original PSU had an 8 pin and a 4 pin plugs. The Corsair had the 8 pin but not the 4 pin. I had read on this forum that the 24 pin is really a 20 pin and a 4 pin and I can see that, but the 4 pin segment doesn't align with my 4 pin plug. I also read about splitting an 8 pin to 2 x 4 pins, but the motherboard wants an 8 pin and a 4 pin.

The CX850M was pretty high end (I thought) so I would have thought it should work for this but I cannot figure it out.

Jan 1, 2019
thanks so much but I still have a question. My power supply had a 24 pin and and 8 pin power outputs. I thought the 8 pin power was appropriate for the 8 pin outlet on the motherboard. I thought I just needed a converter for the 24 to 4 pin. Am I missing your point? Can I use the existing 8 pin from the PSU on the 8 pin outlet and find a converter for the 24 pin to 4 pin? Sorry to be challenged on this

kanewolf

Titan
The 8 pin CPU power plug might work or it might blow up the board. I have no personal experience or care to research pin by pin. If you don't care to follow the recommendations on the Dell website forum, it is your board to blow up. All I can say is good luck.

Jan 1, 2019
I am totally happy to get the converter and go 24 pin to 8 pin. What about the 4 pin ATX connector that was plugged in from the original configuration?
thanks for your help with this. I am not eschewing your advice.