Need a Better Option Than RAID 1

caseybrunet

Honorable
Oct 25, 2013
I have two 4 TB HDD installed in my PC used to store precious photos and videos for both projects and of family. I initially set them up as RAID 1 so if a HDD ever went bad I was not out of luck (I also have this information backed up on an external HDD) but RAID 1 does not appear to be the best option as it rarely stays synced/mirrored and I am constantly having to reactivate the drive. Most recently it won't even let me reactivate due to an error "The plex is missing". Frankly I am tired of dealing with RAID 1 and I assume there has to be a better way to have multiple backups of such important information. Would it be better to simply have the HDD as separate drives and periodically backup drive 1 to drive 2? I am open to as many recommendations as can be provided so I can have the most reliable way to backup my information.

Thank You!

Solution
Backups are safer than RAID in many ways. All RAID protects from is disk failure. If a file is accidentally deleted, it is gone from both disks in a RAID1. Two independent disks with AUTOMATED backup (daily, weekly, etc) is a good start. But an off-site backup is also required. A fire/flood/theft could easily ruin all local copies of files.

kanewolf

Titan
Backups are safer than RAID in many ways. All RAID protects from is disk failure. If a file is accidentally deleted, it is gone from both disks in a RAID1. Two independent disks with AUTOMATED backup (daily, weekly, etc) is a good start. But an off-site backup is also required. A fire/flood/theft could easily ruin all local copies of files.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

Read here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3383768/backup-situation-home.html