[SOLVED] Need a bit of help with my graphics card...

Hi, so I have currently have this GPU.
I have a few question about it:
1) Recently my rear exhaust fan died, now I have 3 fans on the front, but they are useless since the front panel is right on them. (this case).
When I play R6S, NFS HEAT and Far Cry 5, my GPU doesn't hesitate to go to 95C and literally cant move up from there, only down.
I overclocked the card to +110MHz on Core Clock (now its 1100MHz) with no temp limit, no messing around with voltages, adjusted the fan curve to 50% since its the balance between cooling and noise for me.

So I'm wondering if I should do anything about that, since the card runs perfectly fine on that temp, no crashing, artifacting, its just that it runs on 95C.
What is weird to me that it seems not to be going past 95C, like there is a temp limit, but there isn't.
I repasted the card 4 times since May 2020, never ran into issue's (thank God).
I'd like to mention that it has never been like that, even when I didn't have the rear exhaust fan.
So should I do something about it until I get another rear exhaust fan, or do I just keep it that way?
  1. Now, when I'm disassembling the card, I cant seem to disconnect the LED and FAN connectors, like they are stuck. Instead I have to slowly stretch out the cables so I can have enough space to clean the PCB and somehow clean the GPU die, apply thermal paste and then reassemble it. Of course, I don't want to pull like a madman until I potentially break the headers. Is there a way to disconnect them without breaking them?
  2. This isn't related so much to the graphics card, but I'm planning to get the Cooler Master HAF X. It will be a huge upgrade both airflow and space wise. With the 230mm side panel cooler, how much cooler will my card run?
I expect it to run significantly cooler, thoughts?
Thanks in advance.

Solution
Yeah, there was a fair bit of confusion at first.

$1 one, serves me well for both cpu and GPU,
Are you sure? How thick is it?
The more fluid, or runny, pastes aren't as effective on gpu's because the silicon die is like glass; the runny pastes can be squeezed right off, and onto the sides by the heatsink mounting pressure.

I think I remember reading somewhere that those cards ran hot... or I got 'em mixed up with those R9 390s..?

But yeah, now with the rear exhaust dead - your only active exhaust, need I remind you - you don't really have anything moving the heat out, and you're not really getting air in either = sauna.

If you are wondering, idle temps are 38C as im typing this.
That's totally fine, cause it's not...
If you have temperature issues, I would set speeds to stock. Better airflow in the case should being the temps down unless there is an issue with the card cooling itself. There is no need to re-paste anything that often unless you are maxing out the card almost all day long.

Reactions: Dj0gany
Everything you are experiencing is normal for a card with 1/2 of it not being cooled as intended. The 95 C its hitting is a limit that cannot be bypassed by the card or it will start killing itself. I recommend pulling the old fan out and looking it up on Aliexpress. You can typically find the same exact fans on there as the ones the OEM put on. When looking at the bottom of the card look for any identifying numbers and manufacturer names. We can go from there.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)deleted
2)Those who have mostly the same hardware, as well as similar room ambient temp will be able to accurately answer this.

What kind of paste did you use under there?
Also, that is one TOASTY looking chassis. I'm having deja vu: you need to get rid of that thing.

Last edited:

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
95C and literally cant move up from there, only down.
I overclocked the card to +110MHz on Core Clock (now its 1100MHz) with no temp limit, no messing around with voltages, adjusted the fan curve to 50% since its the balance between cooling and noise for me.

That's really bad for a card to run 95C. Fix your fan curve!

1)It sounds like your fans use that uncommon - at least today - 2pin connection which was really easy to tear if one wasn't careful.
iu
At the top and the spot right next to the power connector.
I'm not familiar with those connectors, it's a bit I just happen to remember reading before. Getting them unlocked is difficult in tight spaces, but it can be done.
Are you sure that the 2 pin connectors are not for the LEDs and the 4 pin connector is for the fans? I am pretty sure that the 4-pin is for the fans. Did I misread what you said?

Reactions: Phaaze88

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
This whole time I thought that the fan on the Graphics card died. Just ignore my posts or remove them. Whoopsie.
No need to remove your posts.
Besides, I see I might have screwed up myself: those 2 pins might be for LEDs, and the 2 fans are just daisy chained to the single 4 pin...
Sometimes those 4pin slots are completely unpopulated; when I first took apart my 1080Ti, there were FIVE of those headers and only 2 were being used.
There are 2pin fans, and it is an older card... I didn't second guess my first post at all.
I need to hear back from the OP to which it is.

Besides, I see I might have screwed up myself: those 2 pins might be for LEDs, and the 2 fans are just daisy chained to the single 4 pin...
Sometimes those 4pin slots are completely unpopulated; when I first took apart my 1080Ti, there were FIVE of those headers and only 2 were being used.
There are 2pin fans, and it is an older card... I didn't second guess my first post at all.
Check the replacement fans I found in that Aliexpress link I posted. The fans are daisy chained into a 4 pin connector.
*Too late I removed the irrelevant posts.

1)deleted
2)Those who have mostly the same hardware, as well as similar room ambient temp will be able to accurately answer this.

What kind of paste did you use under there?
Also, that is one TOASTY looking chassis. I'm having deja vu: you need to get rid of that thing.
$1 one, serves me well for both cpu and GPU, the 95C problem just appeared when the rear exhaust died.
What is weird about this is that i havent seen those kinds of temps before i bought the rear exhaust in July 2020, and the card hasnt been repasted then.

"Also, that is one TOASTY looking chassis. I'm having deja vu: you need to get rid of that thing."
You can cook eggs on the front panel, im serious.

Reactions: helper800
@helper800
OP said that their REAR EXHAUST FAN died.
That Raidmax chassis supports 3 front fans and just one in the back.
They didn't say anything about dead gpu fan, other than they're not sure how to take them off due to the tight space.
Actually the fans unscrew from the heatsink, so i have no problems taking those out.
Well not taking them out, i can flip them enough to clean them, but i cant pull them out because of the cables.

"and the 2 fans are just daisy chained to the single 4 pin..."
Yes, i think they are daisy chained to single 4pin

$1 one, serves me well for both cpu and GPU, the 95C problem just appeared when the rear exhaust died.
What is weird about this is that i havent seen those kinds of temps before i bought the rear exhaust in July 2020, and the card hasnt been repasted then.

"Also, that is one TOASTY looking chassis. I'm having deja vu: you need to get rid of that thing."
You can cook eggs on the front panel, im serious.
Although it wasnt overclocked back then, but i dont think +110MHz on the Core clock would make such a significant difference. I've been running that OC since August 2020

TRENDING THREADS