[SOLVED] Need a bit of help with my graphics card...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Hi, so I have currently have this GPU.
I have a few question about it:
1) Recently my rear exhaust fan died, now I have 3 fans on the front, but they are useless since the front panel is right on them. (this case).
When I play R6S, NFS HEAT and Far Cry 5, my GPU doesn't hesitate to go to 95C and literally cant move up from there, only down.
I overclocked the card to +110MHz on Core Clock (now its 1100MHz) with no temp limit, no messing around with voltages, adjusted the fan curve to 50% since its the balance between cooling and noise for me.

So I'm wondering if I should do anything about that, since the card runs perfectly fine on that temp, no crashing, artifacting, its just that it runs on 95C.
What is weird to me that it seems not to be going past 95C, like there is a temp limit, but there isn't.
I repasted the card 4 times since May 2020, never ran into issue's (thank God).
I'd like to mention that it has never been like that, even when I didn't have the rear exhaust fan.
So should I do something about it until I get another rear exhaust fan, or do I just keep it that way?
  1. Now, when I'm disassembling the card, I cant seem to disconnect the LED and FAN connectors, like they are stuck. Instead I have to slowly stretch out the cables so I can have enough space to clean the PCB and somehow clean the GPU die, apply thermal paste and then reassemble it. Of course, I don't want to pull like a madman until I potentially break the headers. Is there a way to disconnect them without breaking them?
  2. This isn't related so much to the graphics card, but I'm planning to get the Cooler Master HAF X. It will be a huge upgrade both airflow and space wise. With the 230mm side panel cooler, how much cooler will my card run?
I expect it to run significantly cooler, thoughts?
Thanks in advance.

Solution
Yeah, there was a fair bit of confusion at first.

$1 one, serves me well for both cpu and GPU,
Are you sure? How thick is it?
The more fluid, or runny, pastes aren't as effective on gpu's because the silicon die is like glass; the runny pastes can be squeezed right off, and onto the sides by the heatsink mounting pressure.

I think I remember reading somewhere that those cards ran hot... or I got 'em mixed up with those R9 390s..?

But yeah, now with the rear exhaust dead - your only active exhaust, need I remind you - you don't really have anything moving the heat out, and you're not really getting air in either = sauna.

If you are wondering, idle temps are 38C as im typing this.
That's totally fine, cause it's not...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

$1 one, serves me well for both cpu and GPU,
The more fluid, or runny, pastes aren't as effective on gpu's because the silicon die is like glass; the runny pastes can be squeezed right off, and onto the sides by the heatsink mounting pressure.

I think I remember reading somewhere that those cards ran hot... or I got 'em mixed up with those R9 390s..?

But yeah, now with the rear exhaust dead - your only active exhaust, need I remind you - you don't really have anything moving the heat out, and you're not really getting air in either = sauna.

If you are wondering, idle temps are 38C as im typing this.
That's totally fine, cause it's not doing anything.
The problem is that there's not enough air circulating when things do get to running!
Is it possible to take one of those front fans and move it to the back?

Reactions: Dj0gany
Solution

That's totally fine, cause it's not doing anything.
The problem is that there's not enough air circulating when things do get to running!
Is it possible to take one of those front fans and move it to the back?
I lost it a few days ago, i have a box of all the stuff for the pc maintaince ( magnetic screwdrivers, screws, zip-ties, basically everything for pc maintance) and when i was organizing my shelf a bit, i noticed that it wasnt there. Here is the link for the one i bought, if that helps: http://www.halnziye.net/product/9.html
Its 1$, i bought it in my local pc shop.
I need to buy a higher quality one, i used to think that i can use the same thermal paste for both my cpu and gpu, and recently found out you have to be more careful and buy a better thermal paste when repasting GPU's. Is this one good for GPU's?

@Phaaze88
Sadly i cannot move the front fan on the back.
Front ones are 120mm, the case support's 80mm rear exhaust only.
God i cant wait to find a HAF X on the used market.
There was one for $55 up till yesterday. Guess im going to have be patient and search the market everyday.
What's weird is that i can find 50+ HAF 932's, but not a single HAF X

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Viscosity 1000? No unit of measurement? What?
IDK...

The paste in the 2nd link says the same thing: Viscosity 1000, no unit of measurement associated with it.
Thermal Grizzly at least uses Pas(Pascal seconds), I've no idea what these other 2 are using, but they're probably the same in viscosity.

Yes, they do tend to run hot xD
But what confuses me is how fast the temp rises nowadays.
Room temp stays the same, this week the weather has been all rainy in Serbia and around 10C.
The single fan was helping A LOT when it was working.
I don't suspect the current paste is too terrible: thermals would be stupid high even at idle, but here, they're not.
I don't suspect the Vram either, for the reasons already mentioned.
Faulty sensors? I doubt that though.

IDK...

The paste in the 2nd link says the same thing: Viscosity 1000, no unit of measurement associated with it.
Thermal Grizzly at least uses Pas(Pascal seconds), I've no idea what these other 2 are using, but they're probably the same in viscosity.

I don't suspect the current paste is too terrible: thermals would be stupid high even at idle, but here, they're not.
Should i try different monitoring software, although MSI afterburner hasn't failed me yet?
Lets just hope that the rear exhaust will solve the issue.
Im just suprised it does more for the GPU than CPU. My CPU temps haven't changed a bit, but the GPU went crazy xD
I'll post the results here after the rear exhaust arrives.
"
"
Yeah im thinking the same.
Thank you for your help, as always :D

Another question (s).
The previous $1 Aliexpress cooler was working 100% all the time (3-pin one which my Lenovo BIOS failed to recognize for some reason,alongside SpeedFan).
This is the one i plan on buying.
Since its a PWM, will i atleast be able to control it via SpeedFan?
After i learn it though, since its harder to learn than my whole highschool year xD
So if i set it to 50%, how will that affect cooling?
Will it be something drastical (which i dont suppose, since its just a 80mm fan after all), or will it be just a minor difference in cooling?

IDK...

Could it be that his idle temp is lower considering his climate in Serbia being 10 C ? Lower ambient means lower idle temps. If it were 20 C, more of a typical climate, his idle temps would also go up 10 C to 48 C. I think his problem is related to just the rear exhaust fan and not bad sensor readings or anything like that.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Could it be that his idle temp is lower considering his climate in Serbia being 10 C ? Lower ambient means lower idle temps. If it were 20 C, more of a typical climate, his idle temps would also go up 10 C to 48 C. I think his problem is related to just the rear exhaust fan and not bad sensor readings or anything like that.
If that is the case, then that too is fine. That card has a 0rpm mode before opening up Afterburner.
Idling at ~50C is not a problem for a gpu.

If that is the case, then that too is fine. That card has a 0rpm mode before opening up Afterburner.
Idling at ~50C is not a problem for a gpu.

To be honest though with a gpu hitting 95c under load (if it's down to bad/non existant airflow) I'd expect those cpu temps to be impacted way more than they are.

While the airflow may be bad I think that that card is also thermally compromised too.

When repasting gpu's I've always used coolermaster nano, it's expensive but absolutely worth it, it's way thicker than most pastes and is perfect for gpu usage.

I'd expect a $1 tube of thermal grease to be about as effective as spreading butter on the die.

Reactions: Dj0gany
It's supposedly a 150w card: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/178137/gigabyte-r9380-4096-150916
If that's all it is, it shouldn't bother the cpu cooler too much?
It runs toasty for some damn reason...

So we can blame it on the paste until Djoza gets some decent paste?

I would say so. The card tdp wattage is irrelevant when it comes to temps really.

If it were running at 95c and the cooling/ thermal dissipation was working properly then it would be throwing warm air out into the case in excess of 50c.

That would absolutely impact cpu temps more than it is doing.

I think we have a mixture of both a compromised gpu cooler and bad case airflow at the minute (as if one of those isn't enough on its own)