Discussion Need a Build For CPU Overclocking (And Some Questions)

Dec 30, 2019
Hi, I decided to do overclocking as a hobby and I want a new build specifically for overclocking. There are a few things I want your help with:

(AIMING FOR THE HIGHEST BENCHMARK SCORES AND CLOCK FREQUENCY)

-CPU
1- AMD-INTEL (Which one to prefer, advantages-disadvantages)
2- Best CPUs in terms of thermal properties, overclock capabilities and commonly being used by people to compare my results with. I don't want something expensive because I will overclock for the first time and I don't want to risk a big budget.
3- Assuming all the other parts are enough, what are the overclocking limits for a CPU? (thermal dissipation, voltage-current limits and working temperatures above the blue screens and throttling)

-Motherboard
1- A good motherboard which has extensive controls on hardware, (I suspect that features such as auto overclocking limits the capabilites somehow). And also I want it to have many fan slots, custom liquid cooling support and good thermal durability.
2- Is there any specifications that determines the motherboard's reliability?

-RAM
1- RAMs with overclocking capabilities (thermal and performance) for such high CPU frequencies.
2- SRAM-DRAM-SDRAM (Which one to prefer, advantages-disadvantages)
3- Single-Double-4 Channel (Which one to prefer, advantages-disadvantages)
4- Does the memory size matter? Which things depend on memory size?

-PSU
1- Watt needed for extreme situations. (For a minimal, cpu-ram-motherboard-storage-cooler setup)
2- Any other things to keep in mind?

-OS
1- Best OS to be used for efficient benchmarking? Maybe bootable Linux distributions if exists?

-Extensions
1- Cases which has a good thermal design (airflow) and many fan slots?
2- Appropriate fans for every fan slot?
3- Extra things I should buy like external fan controller, or something for accurate heat measurement?

I will post a thread about custom cooling later.
Thanks

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS