Need a Cache Testing Program ASAP!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Have a special case here-I had to disable L1 cache on an Athlon to get it to load Windows. Put heatsink compound on it and windows runs fine. I need a program to test for damaged cache, as the customer had just bought this from a computer fair, and may need it replaced by the original assembler. I am giving it to him in 10 hours, so I need a program right away.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
Sandra will report the amount and I think the speed of the cache- but if you disabled it, then how can anything test it if its not there?
Are you 100% sure everything else is right? what probs did you have booting into windows? could well be a RAM problem or bad bios settings

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I got SUWIN errors when I was trying to load Windows on to the HDD from CD. But after it was loaded, I renabled the L1 cache, and it worked. Weird quirk? I tested it under a normal program and it did not crash with L1 enabled, but it would not run SETUP with L1 enabled?!? This seems to only affected SETUP! Anyway, I am givng it back to the guy right now, so I guess we'll find out what happens!

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Crashman, this is normal operating procedure for AMD.
Ignore it and hopefully it goes away.

I have seen a PCI test card that claimed to test CPU and cache, but I cannot remember where I saw the ad. processor.com magazine I think.

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
wusy have you a link to the program please?

And Fugger- its NOT standard for an AMD, I've not been around these particular forums long- but long enough to know you are a grade A [-peep-] so keep your stupid opinions to yourself, or better still, FUG off and come back in a few years when you've grown up

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

shuke

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
It's too late now. Anyway, AMIDIAG should be able to test the L1 cache under DOS. As for the Suwin fault, my guess is the timing...It's the ram if the system is not o/ced.

It don't come easy.......not always.

shuke

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
Just for the record, did you try swapping the cpu? i.e. placing another known good cpu onto the board and transfering that cpu to another board.

Thanks.

It don't come easy.......not always.

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Ah ha! Dam crashman Iwish you would have specified it was a Slot-a processor then I could have helped you out! Is this slot a processor hard modded inside? Its sounds so. At any rate a program for lowering/ raising the slot a processors l2 cache is called mathlon and can be found here <A HREF="http://www.ocinside.de/index_e.html" target="_new">http://www.ocinside.de/index_e.html</A>

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ncogneto on 05/28/01 09:47 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'll have to remember that if it comes in again. Since he had a Maxtor hard drive, I made a backup partition, and gave him a copy of the MaxBlast software should he need to reload Windows again.