Need a certain item...

To be exact but avoid spoilage, I am avaricious and need a wand of
cancellation to cancel an item I cannot lift.

XL 20, DL 14, turn 55k+, have not seen a wand of cancellation all game.
have burned through 2 wands of poly attempting to "make" one. I have
been just hanging around and killing things for the last 10k turns
hoping for the drop. I suppose I _could_ try for the castle and it's
boost, but I have no levitation and don't want to get stuck on Medusa's
isle ("Sit right back and you'll hear a tale, a tale of a frustrated
knight...").

I've scoured for lamps of all stripe and sat upon all of 3 thrones (main
branch, quest home, and Ft. Ludicrous). The RNG has retained wishless
conduct.

Should I concentrate on getting wishes through fountains and potions?
Should I just keep killing things and hope for a drop? When you
need/want one little item, what's the best way to go about getting it?

Thanks in advance,
Thompson

Congressman Thompson babbled on for HOURS on 15 Jun 2005:

> To be exact but avoid spoilage, I am avaricious and need a wand of
> cancellation to cancel an item I cannot lift.
>
> XL 20, DL 14, turn 55k+, have not seen a wand of cancellation all game.
> have burned through 2 wands of poly attempting to "make" one. I have
> been just hanging around and killing things for the last 10k turns
> hoping for the drop. I suppose I _could_ try for the castle and it's
> boost, but I have no levitation and don't want to get stuck on Medusa's
> isle ("Sit right back and you'll hear a tale, a tale of a frustrated
> knight...").
>
> I've scoured for lamps of all stripe and sat upon all of 3 thrones (main
> branch, quest home, and Ft. Ludicrous). The RNG has retained wishless
> conduct.
>
> Should I concentrate on getting wishes through fountains and potions?
> Should I just keep killing things and hope for a drop? When you
> need/want one little item, what's the best way to go about getting it?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Thompson

I would exhaust all the fountains from the first 5 levels until dry. Its
there that you have the highest chance of a wish anyway, why leave an
option open. Just get a rock and dip away. Unless of course you cannot
deal with the worst case scenario (be it snakes, demons, angry djinn,
nymphs whatever).

Congressman Thompson wrote:
<snip>
> Should I concentrate on getting wishes through fountains and potions?
> Should I just keep killing things and hope for a drop? When you
> need/want one little item, what's the best way to go about getting it?

My instinct is to get to the Castle wand. I'd get the wand of
cancellation AND a way to cross the water to get back to your 'item'...

-K

kremti@gmail.com wrote:

> Congressman Thompson wrote:
> <snip>
>> Should I concentrate on getting wishes through fountains and potions?
>> Should I just keep killing things and hope for a drop? When you
>> need/want one little item, what's the best way to go about getting it?
>
> My instinct is to get to the Castle wand. I'd get the wand of
> cancellation AND a way to cross the water to get back to your 'item'...

I agree, and you may find both of these items by the time you clear the
castle without having to wish for them. Just make sure you have a way to
get *in* to the castle before dropping through the Medusa level! (I can
think of at least 4 that don't involve lev or WW, plus minor variants).

--
Benjamin Lewis

Seeing is deceiving. It's eating that's believing.
-- James Thurber

Congressman Thompson wrote on Wed, 15 Jun 2005 19:14:33 GMT:
> I need a wand of cancellation to cancel an item I cannot lift.

I'd drop everything except my armor and weapon, take the best ~45 items
in one go, drop them, repeat until the bag is empty. Then I'd pick up
the bag and uncurse it.

Each item has only a 1/13 chance of vanishing per loot. If the bag is
full of super-good stuff, you can afford to give up 8% of it to get the
remaining 92% right away. If there isn't much of value in the bag, why
are you considering using a wish to rescue items worth less than one
wish?

--
"Sometimes I stand by the door and look into the darkness. Then I
am reminded how dearly I cherish my boredom, and what a precious

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 19:14:33 GMT, Congressman Thompson <spam@blocked.com> wrote:

>To be exact but avoid spoilage, I am avaricious and need a wand of
>cancellation to cancel an item I cannot lift.
>
>XL 20, DL 14, turn 55k+, have not seen a wand of cancellation all game.
> have burned through 2 wands of poly attempting to "make" one. I have
>been just hanging around and killing things for the last 10k turns
>hoping for the drop. I suppose I _could_ try for the castle and it's
>boost, but I have no levitation and don't want to get stuck on Medusa's
>isle ("Sit right back and you'll hear a tale, a tale of a frustrated
>knight...").
>
>I've scoured for lamps of all stripe and sat upon all of 3 thrones (main
>branch, quest home, and Ft. Ludicrous). The RNG has retained wishless
>conduct.
>
>Should I concentrate on getting wishes through fountains and potions?
>Should I just keep killing things and hope for a drop? When you
>need/want one little item, what's the best way to go about getting it?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Thompson

An unfriendly gelatinous cube on that level would also help,
would it not?

Moving the bag to another level may not be feasible. Although
I once used a hostile troll to carry most of the equipment from
a barracks level to a general store three levels up.

Jove

Rast wrote:

> Congressman Thompson wrote on Wed, 15 Jun 2005 19:14:33 GMT:
>
>>I need a wand of cancellation to cancel an item I cannot lift.
>
> Each item has only a 1/13 chance of vanishing per loot. If the bag is
> full of super-good stuff, you can afford to give up 8% of it to get the
> remaining 92% right away. If there isn't much of value in the bag, why
> are you considering using a wish to rescue items worth less than one
> wish?

You snipped "...I am avaricious..." from my original approach. For
reasons that are better left unexplored in a public forum the "You see
XXXXX vanish!" message causes me blinding physical pain.

However, your rationale and approach are sound and I'll use them in the
future when I'm "better."

Thompson

Jove wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 19:14:33 GMT, Congressman Thompson <spam@blocked.com> wrote:
>

>>To be exact but avoid spoilage, I am avaricious and need a wand of
>>cancellation to cancel an item I cannot lift.
>
> An unfriendly gelatinous cube on that level would also help,
> would it not?

It would indeed help, unless the cursed item itself is the item most
desired.

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

In article <t6%re.4563$hK3.1491@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
Congressman Thompson <spam@blocked.com> wrote:

>XL 20, DL 14, turn 55k+, have not seen a wand of cancellation all game.

It might be easy enough to get the spell, together with a certain vestment, and a smart hat. Unless your character can't cast matter spells at all.

Is there a reason you need the item now?

Why not push on until a wand or a copy of the item you are interested
in comes your way . There are very few things you absolutely need to
keep movng forward. Many things make life easier, or at least more
certain so to speak, but aren't absolutley necessary. I would recommend
getting a wand of cancellation before going too far in Ghennom, and a
variant of medusa is best handled with /oCancellation in hand, but
other than that you should be safe to continue your quest. Or at least
safe as anyone is.

Kevin Wayne wrote:
> On 6/15/05 3:14 PM, Congressman Thompson wrote:
> > To be exact but avoid spoilage, I am avaricious and need a wand of
> > cancellation to cancel an item I cannot lift.
>
> Are you sure? That is, have you tried dropping everything else but a
> potion of holy water and lifting the item?

Everything but a B!oW and a certain pair of gloves, you mean.

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005, Rast wrote:

> Congressman Thompson wrote on Wed, 15 Jun 2005 19:14:33 GMT:
> > I need a wand of cancellation to cancel an item I cannot lift.
>
> I'd drop everything except my armor and weapon, take the best ~45 items
> in one go, drop them, repeat until the bag is empty. Then I'd pick up
> the bag and uncurse it.
>
> Each item has only a 1/13 chance of vanishing per loot. If the bag is
> full of super-good stuff, you can afford to give up 8% of it to get the
> remaining 92% right away. If there isn't much of value in the bag, why
> are you considering using a wish to rescue items worth less than one
> wish?

And maybe there is a wand of cancellation waiting to be picked up in the
bag...

Seriously, I would also go for the Castle wand and wish for wand of
cancellation and * of levitation (if none found in Perseus/Castle
armory/...)

Or, if good spellcaster, pray for spellbooks and hope for spellbook of
cancellation [this one is a bit more likely to be found in the bag than
the wand, of course].

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.

Jym wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Jun 2005, Rast wrote:
>

>>Congressman Thompson wrote on Wed, 15 Jun 2005 19:14:33 GMT:
>>
>>>I need a wand of cancellation to cancel an item I cannot lift.
>>
>>I'd drop everything except my armor and weapon, take the best ~45 items
>>in one go, drop them, repeat until the bag is empty. Then I'd pick up
>>the bag and uncurse it.
>>
>>Each item has only a 1/13 chance of vanishing per loot. If the bag is
>>full of super-good stuff, you can afford to give up 8% of it to get the
>>remaining 92% right away. If there isn't much of value in the bag, why
>>are you considering using a wish to rescue items worth less than one
>>wish?
>

> And maybe there is a wand of cancellation waiting to be picked up in the
> bag...

If there is, it's out of charges; otherwise there'd be no bag to see
here... ;)

Congressman Thompson wrote:

> Thanks y'all for the advice and encouragement. For the record, buck
> naked with strong man gloves and a b?RC (I labor under the impression
> that ? weigh less than !) I am unable to lift the item. And it's not
> the item I need/want (I have mine and 2 spares) it's the possible
> contents which, of course, do not include a /cancellation.

This item is from a bones file, then? If it is from
one of your games you'd know it's approximate contents.
If not you can only guess. Who ever puts 2000 rocks
into such a container compared to who ever puts their
entire arsenal of books and potions and weapons and
such? Check.

> I have pressed on, took a chance on Medusa by coming up from below and
> found necessary shoes in a statue.

If you have a way to freeze water, you can walk to
Medusa.

> In my heart, I know of only 1 sure-fire way to find a /cancellation in
> Nethack; wish for one, and then you're sure to find another one in the
> possession of a sickly kobold in less than 1000 turns...

Exactly.

On 6/15/05 3:14 PM, Congressman Thompson wrote:
> To be exact but avoid spoilage, I am avaricious and need a wand of
> cancellation to cancel an item I cannot lift.

Are you sure? That is, have you tried dropping everything else but a
potion of holy water and lifting the item?

--
Kevin Wayne

"Art is a tremendous means by which painfully guarded individuals bare
their souls." --Steve Hindalong

Jove wrote:
> Congressman Thompson wrote:
>
> >Thanks y'all for the advice and encouragement. For the record, buck
> >naked with strong man gloves and a b?RC (I labor under the impression
> >that ? weigh less than !) I am unable to lift the item. And it's not
> >the item I need/want (I have mine and 2 spares) it's the possible
> >contents which, of course, do not include a /cancellation.
>
> Then keep your eyes out for that magic gelatinous cube, especially
> on a level above the object in question.
> It's sooo simple when you don't have to do it yourself.

ROTFL

> The beauty of this method is that you'll get a wand of cancellation
> in the death-drop from the g-cube after it has engulfed the bag.

Go to Castle. Get wand. Wish for mostly usual stuff. For your
third last wish ask for "cursed figurine of a gelatinous cube".
For your second last wish ask for "blessed scroll of earth".

Go near the bag. Read the scroll and move the boulders to form a
corridor between you and the bag. Apply the figurine in the
direction of the bag. Dash aside and push one last boulder to
block your previous position.

Watch the cube eat the bag. Kill the cube, enjoy the contents,
notice that a wand of cancellation was the cube's death-drop.
Chuckle at the RNG as you contemplate that last wish. Use it.
Then notice the object in your pile of goods from the bag. ;^)

Quoting <dogscoff@eudoramail.com>:
>Kevin Wayne wrote:
>>On 6/15/05 3:14 PM, Congressman Thompson wrote:
>>>To be exact but avoid spoilage, I am avaricious and need a wand of
>>>cancellation to cancel an item I cannot lift.
>>Are you sure? That is, have you tried dropping everything else but a
>>potion of holy water and lifting the item?
>Everything but a B!oW and a certain pair of gloves, you mean.

How do you know his carrying capacity is not maxed without gauntlets of
power?
--
David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> flcl?
Today is Second Gouday, June.

On 16 Jun 2005 14:37:42 -0700, "Doug Freyburger" <dfreybur@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Jove wrote:
>> Congressman Thompson wrote:
>>
>> >Thanks y'all for the advice and encouragement. For the record, buck
>> >naked with strong man gloves and a b?RC (I labor under the impression
>> >that ? weigh less than !) I am unable to lift the item. And it's not
>> >the item I need/want (I have mine and 2 spares) it's the possible
>> >contents which, of course, do not include a /cancellation.
>>
>> Then keep your eyes out for that magic gelatinous cube, especially
>> on a level above the object in question.
>> It's sooo simple when you don't have to do it yourself.
>
>ROTFL
>
>> The beauty of this method is that you'll get a wand of cancellation
>> in the death-drop from the g-cube after it has engulfed the bag.
>
>Go to Castle. Get wand. Wish for mostly usual stuff. For your
>third last wish ask for "cursed figurine of a gelatinous cube".
>For your second last wish ask for "blessed scroll of earth".
>
>Go near the bag. Read the scroll and move the boulders to form a
>corridor between you and the bag. Apply the figurine in the
>direction of the bag. Dash aside and push one last boulder to
>block your previous position.
>
>Watch the cube eat the bag. Kill the cube, enjoy the contents,
>notice that a wand of cancellation was the cube's death-drop.
>Chuckle at the RNG as you contemplate that last wish. Use it.
>Then notice the object in your pile of goods from the bag. ;^)

Sublime perfection requires that it not be noticed and put into
his BoH along with everything else. It all came from a BoH, didn't
it?

Jove

P.S. It took me awhile to figure out what you were driving at.
Very clever.

Jv

Thanks y'all for the advice and encouragement. For the record, buck
naked with strong man gloves and a b?RC (I labor under the impression
that ? weigh less than !) I am unable to lift the item. And it's not
the item I need/want (I have mine and 2 spares) it's the possible
contents which, of course, do not include a /cancellation.

I have pressed on, took a chance on Medusa by coming up from below and
found necessary shoes in a statue. I've fooled about with every
fountain I've found and now I'm hoarding !speed (smoky) to get at it
that way.

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 18:36:17 GMT, Congressman Thompson <spam@blocked.com> wrote:

>Thanks y'all for the advice and encouragement. For the record, buck
>naked with strong man gloves and a b?RC (I labor under the impression
>that ? weigh less than !) I am unable to lift the item. And it's not
>the item I need/want (I have mine and 2 spares) it's the possible
>contents which, of course, do not include a /cancellation.

Then keep your eyes out for that magic gelatinous cube, especially
on a level above the object in question.

If the g-cube is on a level above the bag then lead it into a hole
(natural or artificial) to drop it down. Will gelatinous cubes
drop down holes?.

If the g-cube is below the level then check for wand or spell of
undead turning. If you've got one, then kill the cube & hope for a
corpse.

If you get a corpse, put it in your bag, control level teleport/
teleport to stairs, up, teleport to upstairs, etc. until you get
there (or corpse is at risk of rotting). Turn undead the corpse
& lead it to the item.

David Damerell wrote:

> Quoting Doug Freyburger <dfreybur@yahoo.com>:
>> Congressman Thompson wrote:
>>> that ? weigh less than !) I am unable to lift the item. And it's not
>>> the item I need/want (I have mine and 2 spares) it's the possible
>>> contents which, of course, do not include a /cancellation.
>> This item is from a bones file, then? If it is from
>> one of your games you'd know it's approximate contents.
>> If not you can only guess.
>
> Well, he can know for a fact there isn't a charged WoC in this BoH (why
> so coy about naming it?) - how would the original owner have got it in?
>
> There might be an uncharged one but that seems unlikely.

It's also possible that one has been nested, but that's probably even more
unlikely.

--

Jove wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 13:05:00 +0200, Jym <moyen@loria.fr> wrote:
>
> Doesn't levitation help your ability to carry?
>
> What about levitating & using a grappling hook?

YANI:

Throw what?
L - an uncursed potion of levitation
Throw in what direction?

You throw the potion down toward the ground --more--
It smashes on the dungeon floor --more--
you feel light on your feet --more--
the cursed bag named holding? looks temporarily lighter! --more--
The food ration looks temporarily lighter! --more--
The blank scroll floats up toward the ceiling!

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 09:11:36 -0700, Benjamin Lewis <bclewis@cs.sfu.ca> wrote:

>David Damerell wrote:
>
>> Quoting Doug Freyburger <dfreybur@yahoo.com>:
>>> This item is from a bones file, then? If it is from
>>> one of your games you'd know it's approximate contents.
>>> If not you can only guess.
>>
>> Well, he can know for a fact there isn't a charged WoC in this BoH (why
>> so coy about naming it?) - how would the original owner have got it in?
>>
>> There might be an uncharged one but that seems unlikely.
>
>It's also possible that one has been nested, but that's probably even more
>unlikely.

What if it's not really a Bag of Holding?

Yes, I know he's already got one. But think of the possibilities
for leaving a frustating bones file. Load up a cursed sack with
rocks until it can't be lifted. Put in a /WoCancel, then engrave
"Bag of Holding".

When the finder finally manages to uncurse it, they #loot it to
find...the /WoC & rocks.

Jove

Quoting Doug Freyburger <dfreybur@yahoo.com>:
>Congressman Thompson wrote:
>>that ? weigh less than !) I am unable to lift the item. And it's not
>>the item I need/want (I have mine and 2 spares) it's the possible
>>contents which, of course, do not include a /cancellation.
>This item is from a bones file, then? If it is from
>one of your games you'd know it's approximate contents.
>If not you can only guess.

Well, he can know for a fact there isn't a charged WoC in this BoH (why so
coy about naming it?) - how would the original owner have got it in?

There might be an uncharged one but that seems unlikely.
--
David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> flcl?
Today is Second Chedday, June - a weekend.

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005, Congressman Thompson wrote:

> Thanks y'all for the advice and encouragement. For the record, buck
> naked with strong man gloves and a b?RC (I labor under the impression
> that ? weigh less than !) I am unable to lift the item. And it's not
> the item I need/want (I have mine and 2 spares) it's the possible
> contents which, of course, do not include a /cancellation.

Yes, scrolls weight 5, potions weight 20.
(slash'em options concerning weight are more than interesting, they're
truely usefull (and allow for an even easier price-id by cross-referencing
price and weight-id.))

If your strength and constit are high enough (18/** and 18 certainly does,
probably 18/50 and 18 sufficeint, can't remember), you can carry 1000 and
gauntlets of power will not increase your weight capacity in which case
you can give a try without them (they weight 30, with a bit of luck it may
be sufficient).

> I have pressed on, took a chance on Medusa by coming up from below and
> found necessary shoes in a statue. I've fooled about with every
> fountain I've found and now I'm hoarding !speed (smoky) to get at it
> that way.

Well, if you've crossed Medusa *and* have the boots of levitation, the
obvious way to get a wish is to sneak into the castle. I gues you have
enough equipement to handle the monsters in it and that will lead to a
guaranteed wand of wishing.

> In my heart, I know of only 1 sure-fire way to find a /cancellation in
> Nethack; wish for one, and then you're sure to find another one in the
> possession of a sickly kobold in less than 1000 turns...

Right. I never know if I should check the castle's armory before wishing
(finding nothing interesting in it) or after (finding what I've just
wished for in it).

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.