Need a certain item...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 13:05:00 +0200, Jym <moyen@loria.fr> wrote:

>Well, if you've crossed Medusa *and* have the boots of levitation, the
>obvious way to get a wish is to sneak into the castle. I gues you have
>enough equipement to handle the monsters in it and that will lead to a
>guaranteed wand of wishing.

Doesn't levitation help your ability to carry?

What about levitating & using a grappling hook?

Jove

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005, Doug Freyburger wrote:

> Jove wrote:
> > Congressman Thompson wrote:
> >
> > >Thanks y'all for the advice and encouragement. For the record, buck
> > >naked with strong man gloves and a b?RC (I labor under the impression
> > >that ? weigh less than !) I am unable to lift the item. And it's not
> > >the item I need/want (I have mine and 2 spares) it's the possible
> > >contents which, of course, do not include a /cancellation.
> >
> > Then keep your eyes out for that magic gelatinous cube, especially
> > on a level above the object in question.
> > It's sooo simple when you don't have to do it yourself.
>
> ROTFL
>
> > The beauty of this method is that you'll get a wand of cancellation
> > in the death-drop from the g-cube after it has engulfed the bag.
>
> Go to Castle. Get wand. Wish for mostly usual stuff. For your
> third last wish ask for "cursed figurine of a gelatinous cube".
> For your second last wish ask for "blessed scroll of earth".

Directly wishing for a wand of cancellation will only use one wish instead
of two.
And obtain a reusable item.
And ensure there is a wand of cancellation in the Valley, of course.

> Go near the bag. Read the scroll and move the boulders to form a
> corridor between you and the bag. Apply the figurine in the
> direction of the bag. Dash aside and push one last boulder to
> block your previous position.
>
> Watch the cube eat the bag. Kill the cube, enjoy the contents,
> notice that a wand of cancellation was the cube's death-drop.
> Chuckle at the RNG as you contemplate that last wish. Use it.
> Then notice the object in your pile of goods from the bag. ;^)

Just to check, when g-cube eat containers, they don't eat the contents at
the same time ? (this never happened to me)
And the content can then be found lying one the group (providing the
g-cube does not stay here, eating it, afterwards) ?

By the way, teh trouble with this method is if the previous owner of the
bag has burned the E-word to try to protect himself from whatever
minotaur/archon/elf killed him.

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.

Jym wrote:

> Just to check, when g-cube eat containers, they don't eat the
> contents at the same time ? (this never happened to me)
> And the content can then be found lying one the group (providing the
> g-cube does not stay here, eating it, afterwards) ?

Indeed. You might say that they eat the container, and carry the
contents with them from then on. The contents will not be eaten.

--
Boudewijn.

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005, james wrote:

> In article <jOw*A4kRq@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>,
> David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> Well, he can know for a fact there isn't a charged WoC in this BoH (why so
>> coy about naming it?) - how would the original owner have got it in?
>
> Frira fnpxf?

If I recall correctly, doesn't this simply lower the chance of that
happening but not eliminate it? Yes, I realize frira fnpxf would make it
extremely unlikely, but the RNG can be sadistic.

Mildly spoilery suggestion/idea.
..
..
..
..

That said, if a wand of cancellation was in a BoH this way, and one of the
sacks was destroyed by chance because of the cursed bag, would the
contents (wand of cancellation) be destroyed as well? I would think so,
but it presents an interesting possibility:

The nested bag is destroyed, but the contents are not, and the wand of
cancellation "goes off" and destroys the entire bag and the contents.
Sadistic, no? Of course it's such a remote possibility that a character
would be in the situation that it wouldn't be plausible to make it an
outcome of nesting/cursed bags.

But I like to think about this kind of thing.

On Sat, 19 Jun 2005, Dylan O'Donnell wrote:

> Adam Lawson <adam.lawson@gmail.com> writes:
> [Nesting sacks in a bag of holding]
>
>> That said, if a wand of cancellation was in a BoH this way, and one of
>> the sacks was destroyed by chance because of the cursed bag, would the
>> contents (wand of cancellation) be destroyed as well?
>
> Yes. All contents of a container that gets eaten by a cursed BoH are
> also eaten.

Thought so. It makes more sense that way. I just found the idea of it
increasing the chance of a wand of cancellation zapping the bag kind of
funny, given the circumstances of the conversation. I can just imagine the
look on someone's face when* they find a BoH from a bones file they know
had the nesting and wand... and then they try to get the wand and there
goes the bag and all the contents because the sack is destroyed.

I imagine it would be quite a pain to code for just the off chance of
this, so I'm not suggesting it should be a feature. I'm just easily
amused and crazy. :)

*"The look on someone's face when..." and nethack could provide quite a
gallery of facial expressions, just from my own YASDs and lucky finds
(followed, of course, by more YASDs).

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

In article <Pine.LNX.4.51.0506161134160.10300@hagen.loria.fr>,
Jym <moyen@loria.fr> wrote:

>And maybe there is a wand of cancellation waiting to be picked up in the
>bag...

I'm wondering, how can this happen? I know one possibility, but it's
pretty remote.

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

In article <jOw*A4kRq@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>,
David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

>Well, he can know for a fact there isn't a charged WoC in this BoH (why so
>coy about naming it?) - how would the original owner have got it in?

Frira fnpxf?

Adam Lawson <adam.lawson@gmail.com> writes:
[Nesting sacks in a bag of holding]

> That said, if a wand of cancellation was in a BoH this way, and one of
> the sacks was destroyed by chance because of the cursed bag, would the
> contents (wand of cancellation) be destroyed as well?

Yes. All contents of a container that gets eaten by a cursed BoH are
also eaten.

: "Its habit of getting up late you'll agree / That it carries too far, :
: when I say / That it frequently breakfasts at five-o'clock tea / And :
: dines on the following day." -- Lewis Carroll, The Hunting of the Snark :

james wrote:
> In article <Pine.LNX.4.51.0506161134160.10300@hagen.loria.fr>,
> Jym <moyen@loria.fr> wrote:
>
>>And maybe there is a wand of cancellation waiting to be picked up in the
>>bag...
>
> I'm wondering, how can this happen?

Uncharged.

But you noticed that Jym continued his posting with "Seriously, [...]"

Janis

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005, Adam Lawson wrote:

> *"The look on someone's face when..." and nethack could provide quite a
> gallery of facial expressions, just from my own YASDs and lucky finds
> (followed, of course, by more YASDs).

Maybe there should be a nethack patch allowing for a webcam to
automatically take pictures at times such as DYWYPI or other "general shop
at DL2 with WoW and *brand".

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.

Quoting Jove <invalid@invalid.invalid>:
> Yes, I know he's already got one. But think of the possibilities
>for leaving a frustating bones file. Load up a cursed sack with
>rocks until it can't be lifted. Put in a /WoCancel, then engrave
>"Bag of Holding".

Oh, that's horrible. But the engraving would be gilding the lily; someone
who finds a "bag" they can't lift will assume BoH anyway.
--
David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Kill the tomato!
Today is Teleute, Presuary.

Quoting Adam Lawson <adam.lawson@gmail.com>:
>On Sat, 18 Jun 2005, james wrote:
>>David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>>>Well, he can know for a fact there isn't a charged WoC in this BoH (why so
>>>coy about naming it?) - how would the original owner have got it in?
>>Frira fnpxf?
>If I recall correctly, doesn't this simply lower the chance of that
>happening but not eliminate it?

Yes, but that does make "know for a fact" technically untrue. There could
be fewer than seven and it would still be possible.
--

On 6/20/05 7:26 AM, David Damerell wrote:
> Quoting Jove <invalid@invalid.invalid>:
>
>> Yes, I know he's already got one. But think of the possibilities
>>for leaving a frustating bones file. Load up a cursed sack with
>>rocks until it can't be lifted. Put in a /WoCancel, then engrave
>>"Bag of Holding".
>

> Oh, that's horrible. But the engraving would be gilding the lily; someone
> who finds a "bag" they can't lift will assume BoH anyway.

It's all moot if the player already has bags of holding positively ID'd,
or even #named (not individually).

--
Kevin Wayne

"Art is a tremendous means by which painfully guarded individuals bare
their souls." --Steve Hindalong

In news:<Pine.LNX.4.51.0506171300140.28537@hagen.loria.fr>, Jym
<moyen@loria.fr> says...
> If your strength and constit are high enough (18/** and 18 certainly does,
> probably 18/50 and 18 sufficeint, can't remember), you can carry 1000 and
> gauntlets of power will not increase your weight capacity in which case
> you can give a try without them (they weight 30, with a bit of luck it may
> be sufficient).

Base carrying capacity is calculated as ((Str+Con)/2+1)*50, with an
upper cap at 1000. Therefore, better than Str+Con=38 doesn't matter.
Str 18/01-18/31 counts as 19, 18/32-18/81 as 20, and 18/82-18/** as 21.
So 18/50 and 18 is sufficient, yes.

I feel like 'threadscumming', catching up on old messages...

/Kristoffer

--
This cookie has a scrap of paper inside. It reads:
Zhygv-cynlre ArgUnpx vf n zlgu.

In news:<47t5b15anhiq9r4e87kgvvoueou904s34i@4ax.com>, Jove
<invalid@invalid.invalid> says...
> On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 13:05:00 +0200, Jym <moyen@loria.fr> wrote:
> >Well, if you've crossed Medusa *and* have the boots of levitation, the
> >obvious way to get a wish is to sneak into the castle. I gues you have
> >enough equipement to handle the monsters in it and that will lead to a
> >guaranteed wand of wishing.
> Doesn't levitation help your ability to carry?

Sets it at maximum, but still not above the normal capped level, AFAIK.
So it would not be an improvement if your base carrying capacity is
already 1000 (and you have no wounded legs).
(Same thing for steeds I think.)

/Kristoffer

--
This cookie has a scrap of paper inside. It reads:
Ab yriry pbagnvaf gjb fubcf. Gur znmr vf ab yriry. Fb...