Need a cheap graphics card that supports pixel shading 3.0!

Aztirbel

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012
I want to play League of Legends on my computer but I get an error message because I only have an Intel 82845g integrated graphics controller. I have very little money, and want to buy the cheapest possible graphics card that will support pixel shading 3.0. But I don't know what will be compatible with my computer. This is my system information:

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.101209-1647)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: IBM
System Model: 830342U
BIOS: PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.0 for IBM NetVista.
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz
Memory: 1534MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

Can someone please give me some advice! Also, I don't know how to check what power supply I have.

Your patience would be very much appreciated!

striker410

Distinguished
Hi there, welcome to the forums.

First thing I need to know is does your motherboard have a PCI-E slot? Or is your machine strictly AGP? Your computer is quite old and finding a cheap AGP card could be difficult.
Is this your motherboard? http://surplusandparts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=129

If you have a PCI-E slot, I'd suggest something quite low powered, like a 5450. It's dirt cheap and will be more than enough for LoL.

striker410

Distinguished
Easiest way would be to find your motherboard number or some identifier and let us do the research.

Otherwise, this picture might make things more clear:
sata-pci-express-pci-card.jpg

If it's about the size of the PCI slots, not longer, it's AGP. If it's longer for sure, it's PCI-express. There's other ways to tell of course, that's just one of the simplest.

Aztirbel

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012
Okay, it appears as though I only have an AGP slot! With that in mind, if you guys could reccomend some appropriate graphic cards, as well as some sites where I can buy one online, I'd be very happy!

striker410

Distinguished
Will do. We'll need the PSU information though.
What you need to do is pull of the side panel of your case and either read off the PSU label or just take a picture or it. The power supply is easy to identify, it's the big box with wires coming out of it =p The label will be on the side, should look like this:
PSULabel.sized.jpg

Let us know what it says, or just take a picture and upload it to imgur.com or something.

Aztirbel

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012
I don't have a camera, but this is everything on the label:

HIPRO

Model: HP-L1607FP3 Rev: 04

AC Input (47-63Hz): 120-127V~/4A

DC Output: +5V=/13A , +12V=/8.75A
+3.3V=/10A , -12V=/0.2A
+5V Aux=2/A

+5V & +3.3V SHALL NOT EXCEED 87W
+5V +3/3V
MAXIMUM POWER SHALL NOT EXCEED 160W

A google search on that Hipro model seems to say that the power supply is 160W, which is what you need to know if I'm correct?

Thank you!

Aztirbel

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012
Does that mean I won't be able to install a graphics card? :(

There is another old PC here that isn't working, but I opened it up and the maximum power supply on the label is 250W. Is it simple enough to swap them?

striker410

Distinguished
Yes. It'll require a bit of work on your end but 250w will be more than enough to throw a decent card in. Basically unplug every wire you can (Don't force anything too much. use common sense) then switch the two, plug them back in.

that computer is really old, its probably not worth it to get a gpu. your cpu is barely above the minimal system requirements and below the recommended requirement.

The best gpu you can get would be the 4670 AGP which is over priced since its old tech. You might be able to buy something cheap second handed. Just make sure it works on an AGP slot.

edit: your power supply is too low to support anything worth while so you are better off buying a new computer.

jjack339

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
kinda looks like your SOL with your rig. I know you said cash was short, but if you can use your old Hardrive, Monitor, KeyBoard, mouse, etc you could buy a new rig for about 300 bucks that will feel like a beast compared with the P4 you are using now.

Breakdown would look like

50-75 for decent Mobo
50-120 CPU would vary alot, I would suggest an I3 sandy bridge, but you can go alot cheaper and still get a quality PROC,
40 for a solid case
25 for 4 gb of ram (with XP I dont think you can go over 4, could be mistaken)
25 for a 300 to 400 watt PSU
50 for a GFX card that will handle most games currently out (at least on low settings).

So there you go you could get a modern rig for as low 240 and for about 350 or so you could a good PC.

Key thing is you save over 200 by using your old HDD w/ you OS on it. Issue is I am guessing it wont be easy finding a MOBO with the type of connection your old HDD would have likely PATA (ribbon cables)

I however understand if even 250-350 is too much, but you would get another 4-5 years of moderate gaming, and everyday computing out of it.