Need a Comfortable Pair of Headphones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Byte11

Distinguished
May 24, 2015
I need a pair of headphones that are REALLY comfortable. I only use headphones when it is noisy, so they need to be close-back. I will be using this mostly for gaming, but I do travel a lot and I go on flights that are more than 15 hours often. I also listen to some electronic music, so headphones that sound decent for that would be nice. I will likely be listening on a mobile phone, so something for that would be good. I also want good bass. My budget is ~$100.

Solution
You would need a portable amp. I own the 80 ohm version, I have tried it with an ipad, iphone 4, ZTE zinger, kindle fire, and every one of them could not drive them to volume levels I enjoy (I like my music louder than most though) and did not have the same sound compared to when they are driven properly. While the 250ohm version has a similar sensitivity it does have a higher impedance so likely it would need more power.

Some other options in that price range which are more neutral though respond with an eq well include Brainwavz HM5 and NVX XPT 100. There's also the Audio Technica ATH A900x though the 3D wing design can be problematic for smaller heads and comfort wise they are not as good as the headphones mentioned so far.

Byte11

Distinguished
May 24, 2015

I'm 15 so it's not that big, but it's not small either. I don't want headphones that clamp my head nor do I want something that is huge, so something in between would be good. If you want a reference point, I have tried the razer kraken pros on before (just for a couple minutes) and I found them to be very comfortable. The kraken pros actually do meet all my headset requirements, but I'm pretty sure there are better products out there, so I want to look at those. If I don't find any good suggestions, I'll probably end up buying the kingston hyperx cloud.

RazerZ

Judicious
Ambassador
Beyerdynamic's DT 770 PRO is one of the most comfortable headphones I have worn. Plush velour ear pads, surprisingly light weight, low clamping force, and great headband padding make them a choice that should be on the top of your list. They are also closed back and can isolate noise quite well.

Highly recommended and has excellent bass which can hit hard. They have a V-shaped sound signature (boosted bass and treble with slightly recessed midrange) and are great for electronic music. They would likely benefit for a headphone amp but could get by without one. They are on sale for only $125 after rebate ($155 before) on adorama. Usually go for around $170.

http://www.adorama.com/BDDT770P250.html?emailprice=t&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_source=rflaid62905&cvosrc=affiliate.62905

Byte11

Distinguished
May 24, 2015

Does the 250 ohm work with a phone, and does it need an amp?

RazerZ

Judicious
Ambassador
You would need a portable amp. I own the 80 ohm version, I have tried it with an ipad, iphone 4, ZTE zinger, kindle fire, and every one of them could not drive them to volume levels I enjoy (I like my music louder than most though) and did not have the same sound compared to when they are driven properly. While the 250ohm version has a similar sensitivity it does have a higher impedance so likely it would need more power.

Some other options in that price range which are more neutral though respond with an eq well include Brainwavz HM5 and NVX XPT 100. There's also the Audio Technica ATH A900x though the 3D wing design can be problematic for smaller heads and comfort wise they are not as good as the headphones mentioned so far.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS