Question Need a cooler for z490/10850k

Twinkielol

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2016
Okay, I am struggling finding a cooler here. I have a z490 and a 10850k, but cannot find a fan cooler that is good enough to cool such a hot running cpu. I was running the evo 212 but after redoing my thermal paste one of my DIMM slots was dead. After going over what I could have done wrong as I've done this a million times I was stumped. I brought it to a shop and they agreed it's the mobo not cpu or ram slot itself.

After doing an absurd amount of Googling apparently it's pretty common for the 212's to kill some of the newer boards. Newer boards are thinner, and apparently the spring screws on this can easily bend/warp or damage the board, too loose or too tight... It has a sweet spot I guess, and since it doesn't have nylon or rubber gaskets on it just some sticky insulative material apparently some people have experienced it shorting out as well.

Anyways, I bought an evo 212 v2 (before I found out about the potential problems) and now I am thinking that I don't want to risk it. Do any of you know a good air cooler for this cpu? I was thinking of the noctua-u12s or arctic alpine 12 but am not sure if the arctic is strong enough or if the noctua will fit.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Holy 6 pipes Batman! I found the Noctua will fit also.

Does this thing need the double fans to work? I am not sure my case is big enough. The evo is a tight fit.

I am not sure on the fans question.

I did note in one review the influencer was mentioning how hard the screws were to get started. Given the above information it might not be an ideal solution in this case. In regard to the Evo, it is a middling to low performer in the big picture but has traditionally had a great price to offset that. There are loads of good coolers out there that maintain a decent price and perform better.

Twinkielol

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2016
I am not sure on the fans question.

I did note in one review the influencer was mentioning how hard the screws were to get started. Given the above information it might not be an ideal solution in this case. In regard to the Evo, it is a middling to low performer in the big picture but has traditionally had a great price to offset that. There are loads of good coolers out there that maintain a decent price and perform better.

Really? I've always found Noctuas to be very good. I also use afterburner to up speeds. I can't imagine it's any worse than the master cooler evo. Noctua and the one you mentioned seem to be almost identical so was curious.

When I swapped to Noctua fans my build cooled tremendously. More than anything they are silent, I imagine manually setting the fans helps with cooling though.

Edit: I am an idiot. I read that as the Noctuas being meh performers haha!

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Really? I've always found Noctuas to be very good. I also use afterburner to up speeds. I can't imagine it's any worse than the master cooler evo. Noctua and the one you mentioned seem to be almost identical so was curious.

When I swapped to Noctua fans my build cooled tremendously. More than anything they are silent, I imagine manually setting the fans helps with cooling though.

Edit: I am an idiot. I read that as the Noctuas being meh performers haha!

I also am a fan of Noctua not only for their fans, but coolers as well. The reason I mentioned the Peerless was that according to several reviewers, it performs not only better for cooling but at half the price. I cannot recall what was said about noise level as I might have drifted off (lol).

Twinkielol

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2016
I also am a fan of Noctua not only for their fans, but coolers as well. The reason I mentioned the Peerless was that according to several reviewers, it performs not only better for cooling but at half the price. I cannot recall what was said about noise level as I might have drifted off (lol).

Aw man, it looks great honestly and my build is rainbow due to all the razer and msi stuff. At some point I will upgrade my case, totally bummed that cooler is so big. I'm gonna save that one though for later. It's got good reviews and to be honest... All these bigger cooler ones are all a pain in the butt to install. They have adjustable brackets that can move and slide, can be hard to line up so thankfully that is not a deal breaker for me.

Twinkielol

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2016
Big is good....
To a large extent, it is the fin volume of a cooler(air or aio) that defines it's cooling potential.
The advantage of noctua is that the mounting system is superb and the fans are top quality.

Yeah, I just got my pc back from the shop and they said they were happy I got the Noctua, they said they didn't like the Evo and thought it was probably the issue. They told me the way the bracket tightened with tension screws it made it so the tension had no relief so it flexes the board. Evos are safe if you are careful, and older boards were thicker but after 8 years of using it I finally rushed the job and had to face the consequences of over tightening it like an idiot. The mounts on the Noctua put less tension on the boards.

Apparently I had a few bent pins and a damaged trace you couldn't see.

The pins were probably a mix... The night I got reckless I accidentally moved my cpu chip on the mb pins so maybe that contributed to it as well besides just the pressure. I guess some people were saying they just loosened theirs a bit and it fixed theirs but mine had the damage done.

Tldr: don't be an idiot and rush while putting a spring loaded cooler on or your might break your board!