Need A CPU Temperature Monitoring Program

curt31

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
Hello I was having an overheating problem with a new i5 laptop and the motherboard was recently replaced under warrenty. I installed Core Temp and although I think it's accurate normally I'm beginning to think that the temps that are recoded when the the computer is sleep in the power saving mode might not be accurate. For example under 0-1% load the temp is usually around 15-20c but when I wake the computer up it might list a high temperature of up to 40c that to me seems odd with less power consumption. So I was hoping someone could comment on this and also suggest another program that I can use to at least verify the reading from Core Temp. Thanks for your help and assistance.

Tom j.

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007

I5 should do fine with HW Monitor. Or Coretemp. Or Realtemp.

Your temps of 40C aren't unusual. Please DL Prime 95, run it default for 15 minutes. It will push the processor, your fan should go to max. If temps are in the 60C range, your fine. With my massive 120x3 rad on my i7 965 I idle at the desktop at 35. It's all abut load temps. I load at 55C. You need to see under 72C under load max.

Other who know more about laptops will add info, I'm a desktop user, but an experianced cooling guy.

BTW, 40C is still only a bit over 100F, nothing that is a worry. When you hit 70C under load, then you worry, but just a bit. You will NEVER see load like Prime in normal use.

curt31

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010

Say thanks for your advise I have another program called Burnin that I'm really familiar with may not want to push it quite as hard as the program you suggested also just found a program built in from Dell, I have a Dell laptop that will stress the processor, fan heat sink ect. I would like to try another temp monitoring program just to confirm the reading from Core Temp so which one would you say is best Realtemp and HW Monitor.

Tom j.

D

Deleted member 217926

Coretemp is generally the most accurate monitoring program. HWMonitor and Realtemp are both good options as well. Just download them both and compare readings.

HWMonitor will usually show about 5C higher than Coretemp since it is using
Tcase instead of Tjunction ( I think I got that right)

All that means is it uses a different way to factor temps

Also Realtemp will also be off because of different TJMax numbers it uses
Really at idle due to the slope of signal of DTS there is a lot of error

Your idle is more of a guideline than a exact measurement

whether your at 25c or 35c if that is normal operating idle with system
running optimally then what you dont want to see
is a big variance occur at same ambient room temp

For example if your ambient is 20c(68f) at you normally run at 25c and
then it raises to 35c at same ambient for no explainable reason
then there is reason to be concerned

basically if your idle is below 40c then dont worry

It is Load that matters since that is where the real accuracy of the Digital Temperature Sensor (DTS) is.
So for testing purposes really only Load Temp matters

Intel has stated that at idle there can be a normal variance of + or - 10c
The great misconception of temperature monitoring is that idle temp
unless it is properly calculated by establishing a baseline to the correct TJ Max
(which Intel has always been pretty vague about TJMax and stated to rely on
TCase instead which there specs use as max)

To have proper measurement the correct TJMax is needed

What it all comes down to is to use all three Tmonitors (HWmonitor,Coretemp and Realtemp) and run a load test (i recommend Prime95 small FFTS)
The reason for using Prime95 is that it is the most popular loader
so there is many examples of idle and load temps for different CPUs
based on using Prime95 to use as a comparison to your own numbers

Basically research you cpu and see what others are getting as temps with systems that are properly running and then use that as a baseline parameter to compare your own readings

Whew glad I am a fast typer ;)

curt31

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010

Hi well thanks so much for your time do you think that Prime 95 will possibly shut the system down my processor maxes out at 105c and if it did then what would that mean I have a problem. Just got off the phone with Dell support and I was asking about the normal operating temperature range for my processor now he said that although these programs are good they are in fact measuring the core temperature of the processor and that it really doesn't reflect the True Temperature of the processor because it doesn't factor in the actual temperature were the heat sink and fan is attached and that temp is the one you should be concerned about and it's usually considerably lower maybe 10-15c do you guys agree with this I understand what he's saying and I get his point but is this really the way you should look at the CPU temperature. Well I'm a slow typeset and boy my fingers are tired. :D

Tom j.

basically just watch CoreTemp as you use Prime95 small FFTs
if you are between ambient 20c (68f) to 24c (75f) and go over 65c and are still heading upwards then turn off Prime95
It usually takes about 15-20mins to get up to initial load temps with Prime95
keep checking on it for about a half hour
at half hour point if you are below 60c then you are doing good
between 60-65 you need extra cooling

In all actuality a CPU can go higher with core temps
above 75c is extreme danger zone

there is the core temp (temp of cores in processor package)
there is cpu temp (temp of entire processor package) which the Dell was referring to.

but using core temps is an accepted practice for computer enthusiasts since
the temp programs usually display them
though you can just add about 5c to core temp to get cpu package temperature

Daplinksta

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
In my experience coretemp is the go to. Laptops always have overheating issues make sure you grab a cooling pad or at least keep a fan on it in +70 F weather. I've actually had friends who game via laptop sit outside in winter to keep from an overheating shutdown.

curt31

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010

Hi I've downloaded it but haven't run it yet, could you please explain what "Load Max" is exactly. Are you saying when the processor is stressed that those are the temperatures you should worry about and can you upgrade your heat sink on a laptop. Thanks

Tom j.

Yes temps under load are the important ones
load max is when your cpu has been pushed %100 for about an half hour or more
that is what Prime95 does
You will never hit those temps under normal usage but it is good to know how high
it will go

I dont know about upgrading heatsink on a laptop but the best
bet is a good cooler matt (a pad with fans) to place laptop on