[SOLVED] Need a CPU to update bios?

Jun 25, 2020
Hi, yesterday I bought the asus tuf gaming x570plus (wifi) and idk if I can update the bios in this motherboard without the cpu, thanks.

Solution
no. you do need it
these things must happen in order
1 power on
2 POST - requires CPU, GPU RAM and Keyboard
3 BIOS - open and updating

without a CPU there is no step 2 and updating the BIOS happens at step 3
I hope this is clearer.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
yes. unless its a special feature by the maker the (SOP) Standard Operating Procedure is that you need a CPU to update the BIOS.
the system needs to pass POST (Power On Self Test) before it can do anything and POST needs a CPU, RAM, GPU and a keyboard. after POST the BIOS can be entered and/or updated.

Jun 25, 2020
yes. unless its a special feature by the maker the (SOP) Standard Operating Procedure is that you need a CPU to update the BIOS.
the system needs to pass POST (Power On Self Test) before it can do anything and POST needs a CPU, RAM, GPU and a keyboard. after POST the BIOS can be entered and/or updated.
Ok, so you mean I don't need the cpu to update the bios right?

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
no. you do need it
these things must happen in order
1 power on
2 POST - requires CPU, GPU RAM and Keyboard
3 BIOS - open and updating

without a CPU there is no step 2 and updating the BIOS happens at step 3
I hope this is clearer.

Solution

MurdyPlay

Prominent
Jul 12, 2019
Hi, yesterday I bought the asus tuf gaming x570plus (wifi) and idk if I can update the bios in this motherboard without the cpu, thanks.
i belive some Z chipset Asus boards has that feature
USB BIOS Flashback

But it is only on old Z79 board from 2014-2016 and some newer 1151v2
Main reason for newer board missing those features, due old bios versions supports new CPU already. And BIOS updates are only for new MicroCodes and Stability Updates. If you have B450-X570 board they will surely support 3 generation ryzen

Jun 25, 2020
i belive some Z chipset Asus boards has that feature
USB BIOS Flashback

But it is only on old Z79 board from 2014-2016 and some newer 1151v2
Main reason for newer board missing those features, due old bios versions supports new CPU already. And BIOS updates are only for new MicroCodes and Stability Updates. If you have B450-X570 board they will surely support 3 generation ryzen
I bought the motherboard because in my country was in offer, the cpu I'm going to use are the new xt series or the 4000 series, so if I bought the new 4000 series, probably I need update the BIOS and that's the problem.

Joseph57

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2014
Have you considered taking it into a local pc shop where they most likely have extra cpu's around that they use to do a bios update for a small fee? It would be more economical than buying a cpu just to update it yourself?
AMD does do a "loaner cpu" for free, but I'm not sure if they are doing that in your country or just in the U.S.

Jun 25, 2020
Have you considered taking it into a local pc shop where they most likely have extra cpu's around that they use to do a bios update for a small fee? It would be more economical than buying a cpu just to update it yourself?
AMD does do a "loaner cpu" for free, but I'm not sure if they are doing that in your country or just in the U.S.
Probably I'm going to do this when the new amd cpu's came out.

No you can't.
But, why might you need to do such an update??
All new motherboards will come with the latest bios available at the time of manufacture.
Bios updates are usually for minor issues such as ram compatibility.
On occasion, an update is needed for a new generation of processor not initially available.
It is generally advised to not flash a bios unless the update has a fix for something that is impacting you.
Here is a list of bios updates:
Here is a list of supported processors.

Jun 25, 2020
No you can't.
But, why might you need to do such an update??
All new motherboards will come with the latest bios available at the time of manufacture.
Bios updates are usually for minor issues such as ram compatibility.
On occasion, an update is needed for a new generation of processor not initially available.
It is generally advised to not flash a bios unless the update has a fix for something that is impacting you.
Here is a list of bios updates:
Here is a list of supported processors.
I know the motherboard comes updated but I bought yesterday this because an offer in my country, my plan is buy a ryzen 3000xt or 4000, so probably when this CPU's come out, we need a update (the 4000 series sure, the xt probably not).

TRENDING THREADS