Need a DVD player for NT

Dan

I have a DVD-ROM drive on my NT machine. Is there freeware that I can
download to play DVD in the drive? I went to MS site, and only found DVD
player for other OS's. Thanks.

Calvin

Hi Dan,

I did some research into this a while ago - I haven't as yet tried installing or
using anything, but you may want to have a look at:

http://www.easy-dvd-player.com

The FAQ on this site _claims_ that OS of NT 4.0 is supported.

Most other software DVD players don't support NT (well they don't mention it
does on 'system requirements') - but as has been the case many times before I
have found, just because they don't specifically mention NT 4.0 does NOT mean
the programme won't run on it !

Calvin.

Dan

Thanks for the help, Calvin.

Dan wrote:

> Thanks for the help, Calvin.
>
> "Calvin" <nospam@spamcop.net> wrote in message
>
>>Hi Dan,
>>
>>I did some research into this a while ago - I haven't as yet tried
>
> installing or
>
>>using anything, but you may want to have a look at:
>>
>>http://www.easy-dvd-player.com
>>
>>The FAQ on this site _claims_ that OS of NT 4.0 is supported.
>>
>>Most other software DVD players don't support NT (well they don't mention
>
> it
>
>>does on 'system requirements') - but as has been the case many times
>
> before I
>
>>have found, just because they don't specifically mention NT 4.0 does NOT
>
> mean
>
>>the programme won't run on it !
>>
>>Calvin.

I've been hoping to run into someone with an older Matrox card
with a hardware MPEG decoder so I could try playing a DVD in
NT4. IIRC, those cards came with a DVD player app that supposedly
worked in NT4.

I do know for sure that their older Rainbow Runner video editting
add-in cards could play back DVDs in NT4. (Those cards were
used in conjunction with your video card, they were not
stand-alone cards.)

Calvin

Hi Rob,

my Matrox G400 doesn't include hardware MPEG - I only wish it did :-(

From what I have read, it looks like about the only hope for NT4 and software
DVD playback is VLC, but from the reading I did there may be a whole heap of
restrictions, primarily caused by region coding and CSS issues.

I've not really bothered to pursue it - with standalone DVD players being so
cheap, it isn't worth spending money on making the PC play them back. I
primarily got the DVD writer for data storage, and for that job under NT4 it
works perfectly.

Calvin.

TRENDING THREADS